first_img View post tag: americas February 24, 2015 Authorities View post tag: News by topic Amphibious transport dock ship USS San Diego (LPD 22) saw its first Marine to achieve the prestigious enlisted surface warfare qualification on February 13.Sgt. Arielle Coleman, a Marine assigned to 11TH Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) from Gainesville, Florida, received the ESWS qualification, a significant, fleet-wide objective for all shipboard Sailors and now an optional achievement for embarked Marines.Coleman, who is a criminal investigator aboard San Diego, works in the Master-At-Arms office; a world away from her usual post at the Camp Pendleton Base Prevost Marshall’s Office.So far on deployment San Diego has qualified 161 Sailors and 1 Marine with many others ready to take their written examination and oral boards.Image: US Navy USS San Diego Awards First Marine ESWS Qualification Back to overview,Home naval-today USS San Diego Awards First Marine ESWS Qualification View post tag: awards View post tag: Qualificationcenter_img View post tag: ESWS View post tag: Naval View post tag: USS San Diego View post tag: Navy Share this article View post tag: first View post tag: marinelast_img read more

first_img Press Association Alan Pardew is convinced Newcastle will face the team of the season, regardless whether the Reds lift the title or not. He said: “They have been brilliant. They have been the team of the season, probably, regardless of whether they win it or not. “It’s a tough game for us because at home, they have been awesome. “They have got real pace in the team and in the modern game, that kills you. “You look at Bayern Munich – it’s real pace everywhere. Real Madrid – the top teams, you have got to have that pace. “It’s something that as a manager you long for and hopefully we can improve a little bit on in our team.” Key to Liverpool’s success has been their SAS strike partnership of Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge. Pardew has huge admiration for Uruguay international Suarez, who was last month named the Professional Footballers’ Association Player of the Year. He said: “You don’t win an award like that from your fellow professionals unless you deserve it. He has been outstanding. “He elevates Liverpool to another level, there’s no doubt about that. I think Brendan would agree with that.” Newcastle will run out at Anfield at least having ended a damaging run of six successive league defeats by beating Cardiff 3-0 at St James’ Park last week, although amid an atmosphere which left Pardew in little doubt as to his current standing on Tyneside. His most vociferous critics were far from placated by a result which at least ensured the club will finish in the top half of the table, and he knows he has a major job on his hands to persuade some supporters that he remains the right man for the job. The 52-year-old said: “We desperately want to win and in terms of the game, it’s going to be a great atmosphere, for sure, because Brendan Rodgers has done an unbelievable job. “Moving four or five positions at the top of the league is the hardest job that there is in football, and for me he has got a great chance of being Manager of the Year, and rightly so – and he could still win the title. “That’s his format. For me, it’s about a performance that will make our fans at least believe that we have got some good players here still and that we just need a couple more to boost it. “I have got to be careful what numbers I use because it always gets washed away, but we know that we need more players.” Striker Papiss Cisse is out as he faces up to four months on the sidelines after undergoing surgery to repair a fractured kneecap. Monday’s contest at Selhurst Park, in which the Merseysiders were held 3-3 after leading 3-0 with a little more than 10 minutes to go, appeared the final nail in the coffin for their Barclays Premier League title challenge. If they are to emerge from Sunday’s top-flight finale as champions, they will need to beat Newcastle at home and hope West Ham win at leaders Manchester City, who are two points clear of the second-placed Reds with a vastly superior goal difference. Brendan Rodgers insists the spirit in the Liverpool camp has been “excellent” ahead of Sunday’s clash with Newcastle, despite the hammer blow of the draw at Crystal Palace. Rodgers’ men had looked destined to claim a first league title for the club in 24 years not long ago and their devastation was clear after the final whistle on Monday. But while he is keen for there to be lessons taken from such painful experiences, the Northern Irishman has also emphasised the importance of not dwelling on what might have been and continuing to look forward. Asked at his pre-Newcastle press conference how the spirit had been since the Palace match, Rodgers – who is adamant he has not yet given up on the title – said: “It has been excellent. “You could see the emotion after the game and that was pretty much the same in the dressing room afterwards. “But we know the areas we need to improve. “We won’t dwell on it. You can’t think about what might or could have happened, you can only really focus on what has happened and look forward to getting better and improving.” Liverpool have midfielder Jordan Henderson available again for Sunday’s match . Henderson has missed the last three games due to suspension after being sent off in the 3-2 win over Manchester City. The conclusion of the ban means that, other than long-term knee injury victim Jose Enrique, Rodgers has a full squad to choose from. last_img read more

first_imgAnyone with information is urged to call PBSO Dispatch 561-688-3400. The Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office found a 7-year-old boy riding his bicycle early Monday morning in the area of 10th Ave N and Congress Avenue in central Palm Beach County.PBSO is asking for the public’s help in finding the family of the boy.Help us find Brandon’s family. The 7 years old was found riding his bicycle in the area of 10th Ave N and Congress Ave, in #LakeWorth, early this morning. Anyone with information is urged to call PBSO Dispatch 561-688-3400. pic.twitter.com/zX6PGlEmGv— PBSO (@PBCountySheriff) December 23, 2019last_img read more

first_img2:30 p.m.South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster gave a brief welcome over video to NASCAR in a virtual version of the traditional pre-race driver meeting.The meeting was streamed on NASCAR.com, and McMasters thanked the stock car series for coming to Darlington for its restart.McMasters said he was disappointed not to be at the track but vowed to be at Darlington’s first race with fans.“I love ‘The Lady in Black,’” McMasters said. “Our drivers, race teams and officials have been eagerly awaiting the opportunity to get back to the race track and we want to assure you that we have taken the return to racing very seriously,” Phelps wrote.NASCAR chose Darlington, the oldest speedway on the Cup circuit, as the safest place to restart the season after eight events were postponed and the series sat idle for 10 weeks amid the global coronavirus pandemic. NASCAR was facing a financial collapse if live races didn’t resume on national television. So the sanctioning body had its health plan approved in South Carolina and North Carolina and released an aggressive schedule that included 20 races across seven Southern states between now and June 21. The first event is called the “The Real Heroes 400” and is dedicated to health care workers fighting COVID-19. Health care workers will give the command to start the engines.Darlington is hosting three events over four days. Roughly 900 essential people have been approved to be inside the gates. After a video saluting healthcare workers, the rules for Sunday’s race were laid out. NASCAR used graphics to present virtual explanations for the racing procedures and the images included simulated fans in the stands. There are no fans permitted to attend a NASCAR race through at least June 21.At least one vehicle attempted to enter the property but was turned away at the only open gate outside the speedway.___1 p.m.Kevin Nobles wasn’t going to miss a race at Darlington Raceway. It didn’t matter that he couldn’t get near the track. Ricky Stenhouse Jr. calls his opening-lap crash “pretty embarrassing.”Stenhouse crashed exiting the second turn on the first lap at Darlington Raceway. His crumpled car was spitting flames as he drove to the garage. He retired from the race without completing a lap. He finished last in the 40-car field. “Not really sure a whole lot what to say there about our first lap, first corner,” he said. “Pretty embarrassing for myself, our team, our crew guys. I feel awful for them. They put a lot of hard work into getting our cars ready.”Stenhouse said he’s looking forward to trying again at Darlington on Wednesday night. ___ “I don’t want one single person to get down,” said Johnson’s crew chief, Cliff Daniels. “We’ve got a great race car, so don’t you get down.”William Byron won the opening stage.Ryan Newman and Chase Elliott were called for speeding on pit road following Johnson’s accident.___4:45 p.m 12:45 p.m.The first sign that Sunday’s race wasn’t a normal one for NASCAR was the lack of traffic on the four-lane highway outside of Darlington Raceway.Traffic is always one of NASCAR’s biggest issues as thousands of fans descend on often rural areas not equipped for the overflow of cars. Participants then turned onto a gravel road guarded by four state trooper vehicles and entered a health screening area. NASCAR officials there checked names, administered a temperature check with a device pointed at the forehead and logged the reading on a chart.Ryan Newman was in the car behind The Associated Press in the screening line. He leaned out his window for the temperature check and removed his hat so the thermometer could scan his forehead. Newman, wearing a camouflage face mask, was cleared to enter the track to prepare for his first race since he suffered a head injury on Feb. 16 in the season-opening Daytona 500.___ ___11:30 a.m.NASCAR Chairman and CEO Jim France is at Darlington Raceway and will remain outside the infield.The 75-year-old France is considered high risk to contract the coronavirus. NASCAR executive Steve O’Donnell posted audio on Twitter in which France grabs the public address microphone in the scoring tower and thanks “the entire industry for their efforts to get us back racing.”Roughly 900 essential people have been approved to be inside the gates. Ryan Newman is running in the top 10 in his first race back since a horrific crash during the final lap of the Daytona 500.Newman suffered a head injury as he skidded across the finish line in the season opener. His return comes exactly three months after the Feb. 17 accident.Newman started 21st in a Ford for Roush Fenway Racing.Meanwhile, Ricky Stenhouse Jr. crashed exiting the second turn on the very first lap of the race. His crumpled car was shooting flames from the back as he drove to the garage. He retired from the race without completing a single lap. He finished last in the 40-car field. ___ Seven-time champion Jimmie Johnson posted a photo of all the things he had to do himself at Darlington.“One of the perks of making it to the big time is showing up to the car with everything ready,” Johnson posted on Twitter. “Times R different right now & some of the responsibilities R mine again. Hopefully the drink bag won’t leak, visor doesn’t fall off, cool shirt is primed correctly & so on. #NascarIsBack”Brad Keselowski, the 2012 champ, also took to Twitter to show his new normal, a pre-race lunch he had to make for himself. It included a few raviolis, two hard-boiled eggs and a roll. He asked if water boiled differently in South Carolina. “Help me, guys. I’m lost,” Keselowski said. “Let’s go racing.”___ 2:40 p.m.Kyle Busch’s car failed inspection twice before Sunday’s race at Darlington Raceway and the reigning Cup champion will drop to the back of the field at the start.Busch is planning to run the first seven of NASCAR’s races resumed schedule over the next 11 days. His No. 18 Toyota from Joe Gibbs Racing was originally slated to start fourth. Busch is winless in Cup through the first four events held before the season was suspended March 13.His only victory of the season was a Truck Series race at Las Vegas the second week of the season.___ 3:55 p.m.NASCAR is back! The Real Heroes 400 is underway at Darlington Raceway, without fans and with masks and social-distancing mandates all around.The new protocols should matter little to the 40 guys who took the green flag for the first live NASCAR race in 10 weeks.Drivers, crews and officials wore face masks during pre-race ceremonies, which were performed remotely. The Fox Sports booth, featuring Mike Joy and four-time champion Jeff Gordon, also was being broadcast remotely from Charlotte, North Carolina. Driver Clint Bowyer wore a mask during a pre-race TV interview. Here’s a quick primer of other things to know: Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditDARLINGTON, S.C. (AP) — The Latest on NASCAR’s return at Darlington Raceway (all times local):___5:15 p.m. May 17, 2020 Holland flew in from Chicago to tailgate with friends from Darlington. The group was at a home directly across from the track. Holland said he didn’t hesitate when the opportunity came up. He says he’ll be back to watch the Southern 500 here in September. ___3 p.m.Because only essential personnel are allowed to attend Sunday’s race, drivers were on their own to prepare for 400 miles of action. They typically have a staff that manages their schedules, prepares their beverages for the race and other important details. 5 p.m.Seven-time NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson wrecked while leading on the final lap of the first stage at Darlington Raceway.Johnson had passed Hendrick Motorsports teammate Alex Bowman for the lead with 10 laps remaining in the opening stage of NASCAR first race in 10 weeks. Johnson was trying to earn his first stage victory of the season — and only his third ever under this system.“I felt like I was going to be able to exit the corner side by side with them and things just went horribly wrong there,” Johnson said. “I feel terrible for my team and everybody at Hendrick Motorsports. We’ve got great race cars and things are coming in the right direction, but things just really didn’t turn out there on Turn 2.”Johnson arrived at Darlington with just 13 laps led in the first four events of the year. He is scheduled to retire from full-time competition at the end of the season. Johnson crashed as he was trying to put Chris Buescher a lap down. It ended his day. Nobles was part of a five-person group setting up a tailgate at an RV park outside the venue known as the the track “Too Tough To Tame.”Nobles, 56, from Aynor and on his way to Myrtle Beach, says he wanted to be close enough “to hear the engines and smell the gas fumes.”Nobles was excited that races were going live and believes it could be a big lift for fans following a 10-week hiatus amid the global coronavirus pandemic. William Coats, another member of the group, said the fellowship they’ll share Sunday is important.___ — Ryan Newman is returning after a suffering a head injury in a last-lap crash in the Daytona 500 on Feb. 17.— Matt Kenseth is out of retirement and driving for Chip Ganassi. He replaces Kyle Larson, who was fired in April for using a racial slur. The 48-year-old Kenseth is racing in the Cup Series for the first time since the 2018 season finale. He is the oldest driver in the field.— NASCAR chose the oldest speedway on the Cup circuit as the safest place to restart its season after eight events were postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic. NASCAR had been facing a financial collapse if races didn’t resume on national television.— This is the first of 20 races across seven Southern states between now and June 21. Darlington is hosting three events in four days.— Roughly 900 people have been approved to be inside the gates, all considered essential. Associated Press The Latest: Stenhouse calls early exit ‘pretty embarrassing’ — Teams are allowed 16 employees per car, including the driver and owner. Most owners gave up their spot because they are either over the age of 65 and at high risk for COVID-19 or their role at the track is not considered critical to competition. Several team members are helping remotely, offering a peek into how sophisticated NASCAR’s technology has become.— The first race back is called The Real Heroes 400 and is dedicated to health care workers. Names of health care workers across the country have been substituted for the drivers’ name above car doors.___3:30 p.m.John Holland might have traveled the farthest to not watch a NASCAR race. NASCAR is returning to racing following a 10-week layoff amid the global pandemic. The Real Heroes 400 begins at 3 p.m.___11 a.m.NASCAR President Steve Phelps is promising “the best race and racing experience possible every time we hit the racetrack.”Phelps released a letter to NASCAR fans Sunday, hours before the racing series returns to the track for the first time in more than two months. 12:30 p.m.Darlington Raceway President Kerry Tharp says he’s amazed at how quickly every part of NASCAR came together to bring back the sport.NASCAR’s top Cup series returns to the track later Sunday after 10 weeks off because of the coronavirus pandemic.Tharp was visiting the Raceway Grill outside Turn 2, where team owners were setting up for a watch party. He says the cooperation in NASCAR was essential in setting up three races over four days.Xfinity drivers race Tuesday night, with Cup series racers going again at Darlington on Wednesday night. ___More AP auto racing: https://apnews.com/apf-AutoRacing and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6last_img read more