first_img2014 Land of Canaan shootingAfter deliberating intensely for nearly six hours, the 12-member mixed jury involved in the trial of businessman Derek Jaisingh at the Demerara High Court was on Thursday unable to return formal verdicts on two counts of attempted murder.This businessman has been accused of firing multiple shots at his neighbour Sherwin Hamilton, 44, and at Hamilton’s uncle, 54-year-old Welton Edwards. Nine of the shots fired struck Hamilton, and two hit Edwards.The shootings occurred at Land of Canaan, East Bank Demerara on November 2, 2014.The account of Edwards and Hamilton was that they sought to enquire from Jaisingh why he allegedly assaulted Sherwin’s brother, Raymond Hamilton. Jaisingh’s claim was that he thought the two men, in the company of others, were about to perpetrate a robbery on him.Over the last two weeks, the jury considered these variables among other piecesPictured here: Derek Jaisingh’s trial ended in a hung juryof evidence they were presented by State Prosecutors Orinthia Schmidt and Lisa Cave. Much of the courtroom was packed with relatives and friends from both the accused and the virtual complainants during that time, and Thursday was no different, as many persons were left without seating at the announcement of the verdict.Just before dusk, the foreman informed the court that his fellow jurors could not come to a formal decision by way of 9-3 proportion, which was rendered on both counts. Earlier in the day, at about 14:30h, the jury sought further directions pertaining to the legalities surrounding self-defence and attempted murder.Justice Sandill Kissoon informed the panel that should they accept that the defendant was under imminent threat or danger, they should consider the nature of the attack, and also if the amount of force used was reasonable. At that point, they had been unable to determine a verdict, and the dissenting voices remained steadfast in their position several hours later.With close of this matter, the April criminal session was brought to a formal end, and the judge told a seemingly surprised Jaisingh that he will have to face another trial at the next practicable assizes. He will remain on bail pending the Director of Public Prosecution’s determination of another trial.During the trial, Sherwin Hamilton had claimed that when they approached Jaisingh on the allegation, he pulled out his weapon and began firing shots at him and his uncle.Sherwin, called “Nasty Man” said that he was sleeping in his shop at Land of Canaan when he heard screaming outside. He said he climbed up and looked out of his window and realised that the screams were that of his brother’s.“I went over the road and I saw this man sitting on my brother hitting him with a gun. I went out and pull off my brother by holding [Jaisingh] on his shoulder. After that, he get up and snatch my jersey and dealt a lash to me with his gun to my head,” he said.It was after this that Sherwin Hamilton went and called his uncle Welton to the scene. Sherwin’s brother, Raymond, had denied that he was “cooking up” a story when he said Jaisingh beat him with a chair, which led him to contact his two relatives, who were eventually shot.The witness noted that he heard gunshots, and when he came out to see what was happening, he saw his uncle Welton Edwards lying on the public road in a pool of blood. (Shemuel Fanfair)last_img read more

first_imgAccording to Ewing, an Alaska man acquired the recording while serving in the armed forces overseas. It was a common practice in the 1950s for the networks to send kinescopes – made by using a movie camera to film a television broadcast directly off the screen – of the World Series to U.S. forces to watch, with the condition that they be destroyed afterward. The Larsen game managed to survive, and from Alaska made its way to an Oregon flea market, where a collector noticed it and notified Ewing. Ewing, of Naperville, Ill., didn’t show it publicly or reproduce it for fear of having it pirated, he said. He said he has approached the major networks as well as YES, the Yankees’ television network, but has not reached a deal to have the game shown on TV. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! It will be the first time Larsen and Berra have seen the game since they played in it. “I’m anxious to see it,” Berra said Thursday. “I want to hear the play-by-play, see the commercials. It got a lot of reaction from people, it was amazing. A lot of them said they saw it and want to see it again.” The 80 tickets, priced at $300 each, sold out “in a hurry,” according to David Kaplan, the museum’s director. Nostalgia buffs are coming from as far away as Seattle and Kansas City, he said. A portion of the ticket sales will go to the museum and to the Don Larsen Foundation, which donates to several charities, including the ALS Association. “It’ll be just like playing hooky from school and going home and sitting in your living room and watching the game on television, with the original commercials,” Ewing said. The broadcast found its way into Ewing’s hands via a circuitous path. Then, an Illinois sports film collector revealed last year that in the early 1990s he had acquired a kinescope of the television broadcast that featured all but the first inning of Game 5 between the Brooklyn Dodgers and Yankees. Tonight, Doak Ewing will show the recording in public for the first time, to an audience at the Yogi Berra Museum and Learning Center at Montclair State University that will include Larsen, Berra and Bob Wolff, who did the original radio broadcast. center_img NEWARK, N.J. – It is one of sport’s most enduring images: New York Yankees catcher Yogi Berra leaping into Don Larsen’s arms after the final out of the pitcher’s perfect game in the 1956 World Series. For decades, it also was considered one of the few images that survived from that day – black-and-white highlight reels of the last inning were common, but footage from the original broadcast of the entire game was assumed to be lost forever. last_img read more

first_imgLANCASTER – Mark Heyne remembers the days when going to JetHawks games was the thing to do in the Antelope Valley. Heyne, a local resident who works as an insurance broker, got season tickets during the franchise’s inaugural year in 1996 and held them for four years. Heyne said it was as much about the entertainment the team provided between innings as it was about the baseball. He recalls nostalgically the days when he’d bring his wife Colleen, his son John and daughter Marisa to games on a regular basis. “It was new and exciting, and people were interested,” he said. Heyne began to lose interest in the team as the years progressed, and did not renew his season-ticket package in advance of the 2000 season. He hasn’t been to a game in years. In the early days, he had four season tickets that he would frequently give away to friends or clients when his family couldn’t make it to the ballpark. “It went from everybody wanting them, to having a hard time giving them way,” he said. “It just seemed as if interest died down.” It is people such as Heyne that the JetHawks are aiming a new marketing campaign they’re calling: “Relaunch Your Inner JetHawk.” The JetHawks are under new ownership _ an Ohio-based family ownership group led by corporate lawyer Peter Carfagna, which bought the team during the offseason from Clutch Play Inc. The Carfagnas also own the Lake County (Eastlake, Ohio) Captains and the Everett (Wash.) AquaSox. The new owners are pulling out all the stops to rekindle interest in a community that a decade ago came to the stadium in big numbers in what Heyne said was essentially a celebration of an up-and-coming community. “We’re trying to talk to the folks that remember nine or 10 years ago when this was the place to be,” JetHawks general manager Brad Seymour said. “We feel like we’re bringing that back for the first time in a long time. We want people to remember those feelings when they come back to the ballpark.” The franchise has seen a precipitous decline in attendance. Average JetHawks attendance fell 61 percent from its 1996 inaugural season, when the team’s average attendance was 4,520 a game, to a 1,765 average in 2005. Now the team, which sits in the epicenter in one of the nation’s fastest growing regions, is targeting newcomers with a direct mail marketing campaign that is part of a major increase in the JetHawks marketing budget. They have started a reading program – rewarding elementary school students with free tickets for reading books – and are also establishing fund-raising efforts at local schools to help gain visibility. In addition to more aggressive marketing strategy, the new ownership group has partnered with Clear Channel – which early last year purchased the stadium’s naming rights – on a high-definition video board that team officials say will vastly improve the fan experience. The JetHawks will also get help from development of three hotels and two restaurants in adjacent parcels, city manager Bob LaSala said. Additional future development in what is designated an enterprise zone – meaning job-creating businesses receive tax credits – also is in the works, LaSala said. Former Dodgers star Brett Butler, who will manage the JetHawks, will appear in television ads during Dodgers games. “He is a quality individual and I think he’s going to help boost attendance,” said Darth Eliopulos, a Lancaster businessman who owns a share of a luxury box at the Hangar. “Everybody here knows his reputation as an exciting player and I think he’s going to create that excitement as a manager,” Eliopulos said. Blame for the attendance decline has been placed by some on the previous ownership group, led by team president Mike Ellis and his family, for being unimaginative and for not being attentive to the Lancaster market, instead turning their attention to a team the Ellises runs in Missoula, Mont. Seymour cites front-office turnover – the JetHawks had four general managers in a two-year stretch at one point – and the difficulty of tapping into a market heavily made up of people who commute hours to and from work. He bristles at the notion that the team owners didn’t give the Lancaster market their best effort. “I think people need to remember that the Ellis family brought baseball to the Antelope Valley,” Seymour said. “They are the reason we are here.” Seymour said the some of the efforts the Carfagnas have made – including increasing the JetHawks front-office staff from eight to 11 – are already paying off. He said season ticket sales are up about five percent. He believes averaging more than 2,000 fans this season is a realistic goal. [email protected] (818) 713-3607 AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREOregon Ducks football players get stuck on Disney ride during Rose Bowl event160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

first_imgDETROIT — Rosa Lee Parks, whose refusal to give up her bus seat to a white man sparked the modern civil rights movement, died Monday. She was 92. Mrs. Parks died at her home of natural causes, said Karen Morgan, a spokeswoman for U.S. Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich. Mrs. Parks was 42 when she committed an act of defiance in 1955 that was to change the course of American history and earn her the title “mother of the civil rights movement.” At that time, Jim Crow laws in place since the post-Civil War Reconstruction required separation of the races in buses, restaurants and public accommodations throughout the South, while legally sanctioned racial discrimination kept blacks out of many jobs and neighborhoods in the North. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week The Montgomery, Ala., seamstress, an active member of the local chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, was riding on a city bus Dec. 1, 1955, when a white man demanded her seat. Mrs. Parks refused, despite rules requiring blacks to yield their seats to whites. Two black Montgomery women had been arrested earlier that year on the same charge, but Mrs. Parks was jailed. She also was fined $14. Speaking in 1992, she said history too often maintains “that my feet were hurting and I didn’t know why I refused to stand up when they told me. But the real reason of my not standing up was I felt that I had a right to be treated as any other passenger. We had endured that kind of treatment for too long.” Her arrest triggered a 381-day boycott of the bus system organized by a then little-known Baptist minister, the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., who later earned the Nobel Peace Prize for his work. “At the time I was arrested I had no idea it would turn into this,” Mrs. Parks said 30 years later. “It was just a day like any other day. The only thing that made it significant was that the masses of the people joined in.” The Montgomery bus boycott, which came one year after the U.S. Supreme Court’s landmark declaration that separate schools for blacks and whites were “inherently unequal,” marked the start of the modern civil rights movement. The movement culminated in the 1964 federal Civil Rights Act, which banned racial discrimination in public accommodations. After taking her public stand for civil rights, Mrs. Parks had trouble finding work in Alabama. Amid threats and harassment, she and her husband Raymond moved to Detroit in 1957. She worked as an aide in Conyers’ Detroit office from 1965 until retiring Sept. 30, 1988. Raymond Parks died in 1977. Mrs. Parks became a revered figure in Detroit, where a street and middle school were named for her and a papier-mache likeness of her was featured in the city’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. Mrs. Parks said upon retiring from her job with Conyers that she wanted to devote more time to the Rosa and Raymond Parks Institute for Self Development. The institute, incorporated in 1987, is devoted to developing leadership among Detroit’s young people and initiating them into the struggle for civil rights.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more