The 17-time Grand Slam champion will play Stefanos Tsitsipas in the last four after the 20-year-old Greek beat Spain’s Roberto Bautista Agut.“It is emotional to be back in the semi-finals,” said Nadal, who retired injured in his quarter-final against Marin Cilic last year.“I had some troubles in this event so, after a while of not playing, to be back in the semi-final means a lot to me. I feel very lucky to be where I am after all the troubles I’ve been through.”Nadal, who did have to stave off two break points at 2-1 in the second set, has not dropped a set as he aims to become the first man to win each of the four Grand Slams twice in the Open era.Despite reaching at least the quarter-finals in 11 of his past 12 appearances, including four finals, he has only converted one of these runs into victory – his sole triumph at Melbourne Park in 2009.And, despite not playing competitively since September’s US Open because of multiple injuries, he has cruised through his opening five matches.Tiafoe, who celebrated his 21st birthday by reaching his maiden Grand Slam quarter-final on Sunday, could not cope with Nadal’s quality and intensity.He had spent almost 12 hours on court coming into the match – more than three hours longer than Nadal – including his four-set wins over Wimbledon finalist Kevin Anderson and former world number three Grigor Dimitrov.Nadal broke again for a 5-2 lead in the third, going on to serve out victory in one hour and 47 minutes.The Spaniard used his trademark forehand to great effect, particularly down the line, hitting 13 winners on that side.“The serve and winner with the first forehand is something very important for me, very important today, but also very important if I want to keep playing for a few years,” he said.“It has given me a lot of free points and that is so important at this stage of my career.”Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Second seed Rafael Nadal yesterday eased past unseeded American Frances Tiafoe to reach the Australian Open semi-finals and continue his bid to win all four Grand Slams for a second time.The 32-year-old Spaniard cracked 29 winners in a 6-3 6-4 6-2 victory.Nadal broke 21-year-old Tiafoe in each of his first service games of the set.
Three-star offensive lineman Andrejas Duerig from Mount Carmel (Ill.) High School has verbally committed to Syracuse, according to multiple reports.Duerig becomes the 12th verbal pledge in the Orange’s Class of 2015, and the fifth offensive lineman to commit. He is measured at 6 feet, 4 inches and 272 pounds and chose Syracuse over offers from Western Michigan, Toledo and Buffalo, among others, according to Scout.com.Duerig joins fellow offensive line commits Cody Conway (three stars), Colin Byrne, Sam Clausman and Evan Adams in SU’s Class of 2015.Conway is the only other verbal commit from Illinois out of the 12 in this year’s class so far. AdvertisementThis is placeholder text Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on June 17, 2014 at 5:01 pm Contact Matt: [email protected] | @matt_schneidman
The Black Stars ended their training camp in Kenya on Thursday evening ahead of Saturday’s decisive 2013 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Malawi.The 21 players in camp trained under the watchful eyes of coach Kwesi Appiah and assistants Maxwell Konadu and Nassam Yakubu.The two-hour grueling session at the Moi International Sports Stadium in Nairobi ended with some work on set pieces.The Black Stars will travel out of Kenya on Friday morning to Lilongwe where the decisive clash against the Flames will be played.They will train at the Civo Stadium in Lilongwe on Friday afternoon ahead of Saturday’s match.Ghana beat Malawi 2-0 in the first-leg played in Accra last month and the winner over the two legs will qualify for the tournament in South Africa.
Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds announced Wednesday that summer athletic seasons may be conducted for high school baseball and softball following a two-month activities suspension due to COVID-19.The announcement approved the reopening of school facilities and the start of practices for Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union and Iowa High School Athletic Association sanctioned summer sports starting on Monday, June 1. Per the Iowa Department of Education, first contests may occur as early as Monday, June 15 and fans will be permitted at games.The IGHSAU Board of Directors and IHSAA Board of Control met after the announcement and both groups voted to approve resuming the 2020 summer seasons under Iowa Department of Education guidelines.Member schools are to follow reopening guidance entitled “Summer Sports” and “Use of School Facilities” as supplied by the Iowa Department of Education, with recommendations based on conversations with the IGHSAU, IHSAA, Iowa Department of Public Health, and the governor’s office. Dr. Ann Lebo, executive director of the Iowa Department of Education and member of the IHSAA Board of Control, is expected to join Gov. Reynolds at the daily briefing on Thursday.“The IHSAA thanks Dr. Lebo, Governor Reynolds, Dr. Pedati, the IDPH and all who have worked diligently to develop these guidelines to help us conduct a baseball season for the young people in Iowa,” IHSAA executive director Tom Keating said.“We trust that our administrators, coaches, umpires and fans will responsibly follow the guidelines in place to keep themselves and each other safe. This is terrific news and is a step toward getting our student-athletes reconnected to the activities that mean so much to them.”Spring sports seasons never began and were ultimately canceled on April 17 following the cancellation of in-person K-12 schooling for Iowa’s 2019-20 academic year.The original first practice date was May 4 for baseball and softball. .“The guidelines laid out by the Department of Education and the Department of Public Health will enable us to safely move forward with a softball season this summer,” IGHSAU executive director Jean Berger said. “We are grateful for their leadership and support.“We know the games will have different circumstances and that we will all have to work together to keep everyone safe, but we are confident that we are up to this challenge.”The IGHSAU and IHSAA plan to issue further sport-specific guidance and FAQ lists early next week.Both organizations currently plan to conduct their state tournaments at their previously announced venues, with IGHSAU softball at Harlan Rogers Sports Complex in Fort Dodge and IHSAA baseball at Principal Park in Des Moines.Per guidance from the Iowa Department of Education, coach-athlete contact for all in-person, out-of-season sports is suspended until July 1. Release from the Iowa High School Athletic Association and Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union: