first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Kelly Currie was named Monday acting U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of New York after his boss and predecessor, Loretta Lynch, was sworn in as U.S. Attorney General, replacing Eric Holder.Currie, who was Lynch’s chief assistant, will oversee a staff of nearly 300 tasked with investigating and prosecuting federal criminal and civil cases on Long Island as well as in Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island. His takeover follows Lynch’s five-month-long wait to be confirmed last week by the U.S. Senate, which made her the first African American woman to be the nation’s top law enforcement official.“I am honored beyond words to step into this larger role today as your Attorney General as we continue the core work, our mission, the protection of the American people,” Lynch told reporters during a news conference immediately after her swearing in ceremony.Currie has done two stints as a federal prosecutor. During his first time around from 1999-2010, he worked his way up to Deputy Chief of the Criminal Division and Chief of the Violent Crimes & Terrorism Section. He then spent four years working in the Manhattan office of Washington, D.C.-based law firm Crowell & Moring, LLP before returning to the U.S. Attorney’s Office in November.His private practice work included representing corporations and individuals in white collar criminal defense matters, corporate internal investigations and complex civil litigation. His work as a federal prosecutor has included leading investigations and prosecutions of crimes ranging from racketeering, terrorism, fraud, money laundering and murder.Aside from those jobs, Currie served as a senior adviser to former U.S. Sen. George Mitchell (D-Maine). He graduated from the University of Virginia, McIntire School of Commerce in ‘86 and the University of Virginia School of Law in ‘93.last_img read more

first_imgA Florida toddler died Sunday after becoming trapped in a front-loading washing machine in his family home, according to police.Orlando police say the 3-year-old boy was playing with a sibling in the laundry room when he somehow got inside the washing machine.He was taken to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead.The death is still under investigation, and no charges have been reported at this time.Police have not released any other information.last_img

first_imgFIFA Match Agent, Ebi Egbe, has berated Nigerian football stakeholders plotting the downfall of Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) President, Amaju Melvin Pinnick.Egbe noted that Amaju’s exit as CAF’s first vice president last week in Cairo, Egypt was more of a big loss to Nigeria as a nation, than it is for the Delta State born soccer administrator.“I don’t just understand why some people are not seeing the bigger picture of what they are doing. Those celebrating Amaju’s exit as CAF first vice president must realize that the biggest loser is Nigeria. Ebi Egbe “Nigeria has a lot to gain with Amaju being there, but those who are not happy with his rise to stardom want to pull him down at all cost and in the process, they don’t give a damn how that affects the country. I think those fighting Amaju are being petty and unpatriotic,” Egbe stressed.Egbe who is the Chief Executive Officer of Monimichelle, an indigenous stadium construction outfit said the Super Eagles would not have done well at AFCON if not for the ingenuity of the Amaju led NFF board.“The question to ask is when did the federal government release money for AFCON and who was responsible for the delay and the late release of the AFCON money?“Somebody, somewhere wanted Nigeria to fail in Egypt and use that as a plank to further call for the sack of the NFF board. Unfortunately, they failed. Eagles did not only do well but openly praised the soccer federation for making their welfare a priority,” the Monimichelle CEO further noted.Egbe urged those distracting the NFF’s board members to stop and allow them do their job in the interest of Nigerian football.“Amaju and co won’t be there for ever. Those eyeing the Glass House should give peace a chance and allow them do their job in the interest of our country. Nobody is bigger than Nigeria and whatever we do, the interest of the country should come first,” Egbe concluded.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

first_imgDES MOINES — Farmers who are being financially hurt by international trade disputes will be able to apply for a second round of payments from the federal government starting Monday. Unlike last year, row-crop farmers will get payments based on their county, not the specific crop they planted.Former Iowa ag secretary, now an undersecretary with the USDA, Bill Northey says checks will start going out next month. “Payments we expect to start mid- to late-August and will be made to three groups of folks,” Northey says. “We have the non-specialty crops, that county payment rate, specialty crops, and then to our dairy and hog producers.”County rates reflect how much money the USDA calculated an area lost due to reduced exports and range from 15 to 150 dollars per acre. U-S Ag Secretary Sonny Perdue says the payments are meant to help, but won’t make anyone whole.  Perdue says, “President Trump understands that these are the people who are producing and they are the disproportionate bearers of the trade disruption.”Pork and dairy farmers, and producers of specialty crops like fruits and nuts, will be paid separately. The USDA raised the amount a farmer can get from the payouts to $500,000, if they’re eligible for payments in two or three categories. Perdue says it’s all in keeping with President Trump’s promise.  “His administration’s not going to stand by while our productive farmers are treated unfairly by countries acting in bad faith,” Perdue says. “These are the men and women, year after year, who put their equity on the line, assume the financial risk, and every time, they plant a new crop and keep going.”Iowa State University ag economist Chad Hart says the change from the 2018 payment program will eliminate complaints that soybeans got a much bigger payout than corn.  “It’s still targeted by crop even though the crop does not directly factor into the mix of how big your payment is,” Hart says.Overall, the government plans to distribute more than 14-billion dollars in aid to farmers and ranchers through the Market Facilitation Program, or M-F-P. Sign-ups will be taken through December 6th.last_img read more