first_imgAshley Williams admits Swansea have been guilty of taking their eye off the ball during their poor run of results since winning the Capital One Cup, but is confident of finishing the season strongly. The goalless draw with Manchester City was Swansea’s seventh Barclays Premier League game without a win. Their last victory came against Newcastle at the start of March, one week after beating Bradford at Wembley. Defender Williams has been frustrated by the sequence of results which have seen Swansea take just three points from a possible 21. “It’s not good enough,” he said. “If you take away the Arsenal and the Tottenham games, we should have done a lot better in each of the other matches. I think, for whatever reason, we took our eye off the ball. But I also thought against Manchester City we performed well and were back on our game.” Press Associationcenter_img But the Wales captain rejected suggestions there has been any lack of effort from the Swans with silverware and safety secured. “It’s not been enjoyable not winning a game for so many weeks, but a draw against the ex-champions isn’t a bad result,” he said. “It’s easy to say we thought the season was over after Wembley, but I didn’t think like that and I don’t believe any of the other players did. “It may look that way from the outside, but we’ve done well in games. There have just been critical periods when the opposition have scored, while we’ve missed chances and that has cost us. We put pressure on ourselves, we said the City game was an important match and we wanted to perform well. I think we did that.” Williams, who has been heavily linked with moves to Liverpool and Arsenal, turned in an outstanding individual display against City which is sure to have impressed any potential suitors. And Williams felt his performance was just part of an excellent collective defensive display. “It’s the best we have played in recent weeks,” he said. “The second half was tough, we got tired and I think the front players were working so hard defensively when Manchester City got on the ball it was hard for them to actually keep it from us. “City were always going to have chances, but the pleasing thing for me at the back was the way we stuck together and helped each other out.” last_img read more

first_imgA GRAND day of sports, organised by the Region 2 Administration is set for August 11 at the Charity Community ground as part of the Region’s range of activities in recognition of Amerindian Heritage Month which is officially celebrated in September.Among the disciplines to be contested are cricket, football and volleyball with the winners qualifying to represent the Region in the National playoffs.Among the participating Amerindian villages will be Mainstay, Capoey, St Monica, Kabakaburi, Akawini and Wakapoa.Trophies will be donated to the winners at the completion of the events which will commence at 14:30hrs with the final of each event contested under lights. Region 2 are the male National defending champions at tapeball cricket while the females previously held the title in 2015.last_img read more

first_imgCongress sources have confirmed that former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will not accept Pakistan’s invitation for the inauguration of Kartarpur corridor. Earlier, the Pakistan government had on Monday extended an invitation to former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for the inauguration of Kartarpur corridor that is scheduled to be held on November 9. “We would like to extend an invitation to former Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for the inauguration function of Kartarpur Corridor. He also represents the Sikh community. We will also send him a formal invitation,” Pakistan Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi said. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss account details under automatic exchange framework The inauguration ceremony will take place three days before the 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev.India has asked Pakistan to “reconsider” its decision to charge USD 20 as service charge from pilgrims visiting the Kartarpur Sahib Gurudwara in Pakistan. Initially, 5,000 pilgrims will be allowed to visit daily from India but later 10,000 pilgrims will be allowed per day, according to the Ministry of External Affairs. Pakistan is building the corridor from the Indian side of the border to the Gurdwara Darbar Sahib, while the other part from Dera Baba Nanak in Gurdaspur up to the border is being built by India. Also Read – Trio win Nobel Medicine Prize for work on cells, oxygenThe four-lane highway connecting the Zero Point of the corridor up to National Highway-354 is being constructed by the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI). Besides, a passenger terminal is also under construction. The corridor will connect Darbar Sahib in Kartarpur with Dera Baba Nanak shrine in Gurdaspur district of Punjab and facilitate visa-free movement of Indian pilgrims, who will have to just obtain a permit to visit Kartarpur Sahib, which was established in 1522 by Sikh faith founder Guru Nanak Dev.(Inputs from DNAIndia.com)last_img read more