first_imgPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Urgent reply from Philippine ‍football chief Wladimir Klitschko rescued at sea after yacht fire off Spain Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassles LATEST STORIES MOST READ “But that can only happen in the semi-finals and to get there I have to win five matches. Today I’m far away.” Nadal claimed his 18th major title earlier this month by winning the French Open for a record-extending 12th time. He now sits behind only Federer’s 20 grand slam triumphs in the all-time list of male champions.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Duterte wants probe of SEA Games mess Spain’s Rafael Nadal reacts as he raises the Mousquetaires Cup (The Musketeers) at the end of the men’s singles final match against Austria’s Dominic Thiem on day fifteen of The Roland Garros 2019 French Open tennis tournament in Paris on June 9, 2019. (Photo by Martin BUREAU / AFP)Rafael Nadal has complained about Wimbledon’s seeding system after the Spaniard was placed at number three, behind Roger Federer, for next week’s grand slam in London. The other three major tournaments all match their seeding to the official world rankings but Wimbledon uses its own formula to dictate the order, combining ranking points with form in grass-court competitions. ADVERTISEMENTcenter_img Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. “It’s not only about my particular case. There have been many occasions when players have played well all year on all surfaces but Wimbledon does not respect the ranking they have earned. “And for this reason they get more complicated draws.”Nadal is yet to play an official match on grass this year while Federer warmed up for Wimbledon last week by winning his 10th title at the grass-court tournament in Halle.Federer and top seed Novak Djokovic will be at opposite ends of the Wimbledon draw, separated until the final, but Nadal is guaranteed to have either Federer or Djokovic in his half, and could meet them in the semis. “For me personally, it means if I am three, to get to the final, Djokovic or Federer will be in my half,” Nadal added.ADVERTISEMENT World dragon boat champs out to make waves in SEA Games POC chief on SEA Games hosting glitches: ‘It’s normal’ PNP officials inspect Cubao bus terminals ahead of Undas PLAY LIST 01:30PNP officials inspect Cubao bus terminals ahead of Undas02:44Djokovic wins Laureus Sportsman of Year Award01:19Magalong: Albayalde also got SUV out of ‘agaw bato’ operation in 201302:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss PH beach spikers also eye spots to Continental Cup It means Nadal will be seeded three and Federer two at the All England Club this year, despite their positions being the reverse in the rankings list. “Wimbledon is the only tournament of the year that does it like this,” Nadal told Spanish television channel Movistar on Monday night.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logisticsSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption charges“Obviously it would be better to be two than three but if they think I have to be three I will accept three and fight to win the matches I have to win. “Having said that, the only thing that doesn’t seem right about this issue is that it is only Wimbledon that does it. If they all did it, it would seem more correct. View commentslast_img read more

first_imgTransfers ‘That’s not even a debate’ – Kompany has no interest in summer Man City exit Chris Burton Last updated 1 year ago 09:28 2/6/18 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(1) Vincent Kompany Manchester City Getty Images Transfers Manchester City Premier League The Belgian defender must prove his fitness and fend off added competition but remains adamant that he sees his future at the Etihad Stadium Vincent Kompany remains adamant that his future lies at Manchester City amid suggestions he could move on this summer.The long-serving Belgium international has been at the Etihad Stadium since the summer of 2008.He has made well over 300 appearances for City, helping them to two Premier League titles along with FA Cup and League Cup successes. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing Megan Rapinoe: Born & brilliant in the U.S.A. A Liverpool legend in the making: Behind Virgil van Dijk’s remarkable rise to world’s best player Fitness issues have, however, been a problem at times and Pep Guardiola now boasts centre-half alternatives in the form of John Stones, Nicolas Otamendi and Aymeric Laporte.Kompany, though, is hoping to see out a contract that is due to run until the summer of 2019, with the 31-year-old telling reporters on where he sees himself next season: “That’s not even a debate.“If you’re fit, you have many options and a lot of clubs. If you’re not fit, you don’t have many opportunities and not many clubs.“If I stay fit, I’ll want to play football at City. And if I’m not fit, I won’t have other options.“I don’t know if I could muster the same motivation elsewhere.“It may seem that I’m high maintenance, but I’m a good professional and I work so hard on my return. The longer I’m available, the more chance I’ll get to play more matches.”Kompany has only made 11 appearances this season, with Guardiola carefully managing his workload.The City skipper is, however, ready when required, with regular minutes important to him as he chases down domestic and international goals.Another league title appears to be on the cards, with the Blues still in contention across four competitions, while spots at this summer’s World Cup remain up for grabs.Kompany added on that challenge, with Belgium – who have been placed in the same group as England – expected to go well in Russia: “The opportunity for us is great — but we still have work to do.“In 2014 and 2016, we had a right to failure, because we had a young team. But over the next few years we can’t use that excuse.“We need to be tactically stronger, which will help us physically and technically.”last_img read more

first_imgNew Delhi/Kochi: The Supreme Court on Monday pulled up the Kerala government for not complying with its order to demolish four apartment complexes at Maradu in Kochi built in violation of norms in coastal areas, telling its chief secretary his conduct is of defiance and warning he will now be in “great difficulty”.Expressing shock over a spate of unauthorised structures at Marad in violation of Coastal Regulation Zone (CRZ) norms, the court also asked Chief Secretary Tom Jose, who was present in the courtroom following its direction, to conduct a survey to gauge the extent of devastation caused to nature. Illegal construction in coastal areas of Kerala have caused a “colossal loss” to the environment, it said. Also Read – 2019 most peaceful festive season for J&K: Jitendra SinghA bench of Justices Arun Mishra, Vineet Sharan and S Ravindra Bhatt said it will pass a detailed order on September 27 on the matter. Kerala minister A C Moideen said the state was bound by the apex court order and will follow the law while Jose said there was a constitutional duty to follow it. Moideen and Jose were talking to reporters in Kochi and Delhi respectively after the apex court came down heavily on the state government. The top court said the chief secretary has not specified in his affidavit as to how much time is needed to comply with the apex court order to demolish the four apartment complexes. Also Read – Personal life needs to be respected: Cong on reports of Rahul’s visit abroad”How much time you will need for compliance? You have not stated this in your affidavit. Now we are telling you are acting in defiance. You will be in great difficulty. You should conduct a survey to gauge the extent of devastation caused to nature. Do you know the extent of colossal loss caused to the nature. We are shocked to see this. No permissions were taken from the coastal zone authority. This cannot happen,” the bench said. “What is happening there we know. We will fix responsibility on those responsible. This is a colossal loss to the coastal zone area. It’s a high tide area and hundreds of illegal structures have come up in the coastal zone.” In an affidavit, the chief secretary had assured the top court that its order would be complied with and the process for selecting a specialised agency for “controlled implosion” to demolish the buildings is underway. The court earlier asked the state government to file a compliance report before it by September 20 failing which the chief secretary will have to be present before it on September 23. “Have you any idea how many people have died due to floods because of the devastation caused to the environment? You are playing with nature. Thousands of people have died in devastations. How many houses have you built for victims? Yet illegal structures continue to come up in coastal areas,” the bench told the chief secretary.last_img read more

first_imgNew Delhi: Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Friday slammed the Modi government, accusing it of being vindictive and targeting NCP chief Sharad Pawar ahead of the Maharashtra polls. Pawar has been named in a money-laundering case by the Enforcement Directorate in connection with a scam at the Maharashtra State Cooperative Bank. The NCP chief has said that he will visit the ED office, even though it has not summoned him yet. “Sharad Pawar Ji is the latest Opposition leader to be targeted by a vindictive Government. The timing of this action, a month before elections in Maharashtra, reeks of political opportunism,” he said on Twitter. Gandhi has been critical of the government targeting opposition leaders. The Congress has said that cases are being slapped against opposition leaders ahead of elections in states.last_img read more