first_imgOne of the women filed a lawsuit a week ago against Alexander. Natalie Pack, 32, said at a news conference that she has been devastated and unable to work since the alleged attack in October 2004. Alexander, who is being held without bail, is also under investigation by authorities in Dallas, Houston, New York and Massachusetts. He could face life in prison if convicted of the charges in the indictment. According to the India-born, New York-based designer’s Web site, he has won numerous fashion awards, including a 2002 People’s Choice for “Best New Designer” and a 2002- 03 Fashion Week of the Americas “International New Star.” He was a profiled designer on the TV show,”America’s Next Top Model,” in 2003. Newsweek once described him as a “party boy in Miami in the 1990s … who as a Parsons-trained designer launched his first line at New York Fashion Week in 1999 and has gone on to dress the likes of Paris Hilton.” For the latest news and observations on crime in Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley, check out the Daily News’ crime blog by clicking here.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.The indictment includes all 18 alleged victims from a 46-count criminal complaint that had been filed earlier this year against Alexander, along with two additional alleged victims. Seven are from California, with the remainder from eight other states and two other countries, according to the District Attorney’s Office. He is accused of setting up a fledgling design business and using it to lure aspiring models to Los Angeles to sexually assault them. “We think that there was collusion,” one of his defense attorneys, Anthony Brooklier, said earlier this month about the alleged victims. “We think this is made up whole-cloth, the entire case.” Beverly Hills police launched an investigation in March after a woman reported she had been sexually assaulted by Alexander at his Beverly Hills apartment. Fashion designer Anand Jon Alexander has pleaded not guilty to charges of sexually assaulting 20 teenage girls and young women he allegedly lured to Los Angeles to model for him. The 33-year-old Alexander is being held without bail, but a bail review hearing has been scheduled for Nov. 7. Alexander, 33, was indicted Sept. 27 on 54 felony and five misdemeanor counts, including forcible rape, sexual battery by restraint and lewd acts upon a child. The charges also include sexual penetration by a foreign object, using a minor for sex acts, forcible and attempted forcible oral copulation, assault with intent to commit a felony, possession or control of child pornography and contributing to the delinquency of a minor. According to the indictment, which had been sealed after it was handed up Sept. 27 following a nine-day hearing with 23 witnesses, the alleged crimes occurred between November 2002 and this March. last_img read more

first_imgBEIJING – China has secretly issued an order banning those the government considers a threat from next year’s Olympics – a group that includes terrorists, Falun Gong activists, some media workers and frequent traffic-law violators, an overseas monitoring association said Friday. China’s leaders view the Beijing Olympics as a way to project a positive image of the country, but the games also offer a rare opportunity for protesters to air their grievances against China’s government and the ruling Communist party. The order from the Ministry of Public Security bans those who fall into broad categories such as “antagonistic elements,” “members of illegal organizations,” and “non-government organizations engaging in activities that can pose a real threat to the Olympic Games,” according to the China Aid Association, based in Midland, Texas. Others who are banned included terrorists, criminals under surveillance and followers of the Falun Gong spiritual movement, which China considers a cult, the association said. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre The group, which advocates for religious freedom in China, also said the ban targeted religious extremists, “media employees who can harm the Olympic Games” and “dangerous elements … and other people who have serious grievances against the Party.” It was not clear whether the order reportedly issued in April applied to visitors or participants, although the association said the security ministry called for strict examinations of athletes, Olympic Committee members, media and sponsors. The association cited government sources as the basis of its report. The group’s founder, Bob Fu, did not immediately respond to an e-mail from The Associated Press asking to see the original government document. Preparations for the Beijing Olympics, such as venue construction, have hummed along at a record pace, but the high-profile event has opened China to accusations of human rights violations, not doing enough to fight pollution and willingness to overlook Sudan’s actions in its violence-ridden Darfur region in return for gas and oil. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more