first_img Press Association Arsene Wenger has warned Tottenham that his Arsenal team are ready to fight all the way for Champions League qualification this season. After all, this time last year Tottenham held a 10-point advantage over the Gunners, but a poor run of form towards the end of the season – which began with defeat in the north London derby – saw Spurs slip off the pace and ended with Arsenal qualifying for the Champions League for a 15th successive season. And with 13 matches left this season – including a visit to White Hart Lane on March 3 – Wenger knows Arsenal can still leapfrog their rivals if they display the fight they did at the Stadium of Light. Although Arsenal are no longer blessed with the attacking prowess of Robin van Persie, Wenger claims they do possess a strong mentality which he thinks was evident on Saturday when they had to spend most of the second half down to 10 men following Jenkinson’s dismissal for a second yellow card. “Our character was questioned many times,” the Arsenal manager added. “You saw (on Saturday) that we have plenty. I liked the last 20 minutes when we were pushed back. We headed every single ball. We tried like mad and that’s fantastic to see. “Sometimes you have to just dig in and some players played in uncomfortable positions. When we have the desire to win, it helps a lot.” One area of concern for Wenger was that two of his key players, Laurent Koscielny and Jack Wilshere, suffered respective calf and thigh injuries on Saturday. The Frenchman is hopeful that both players will be fit for Saturday’s FA Cup clash against Blackburn, although they may be rested given that the Gunners play Bayern Munich in the Champions League three days later. center_img Arsenal remain four points behind their fourth-placed neighbours after grinding out a 1-0 victory over Sunderland with 10 men following the sending off of Carl Jenkinson. Spurs stretched their unbeaten run to 10 matches at the weekend with victory over Newcastle, but Wenger knows better than most that everything can change quickly in the final third of the season. “There are many games to go,” Wenger told Arsenal Player when asked about his team’s attempts to catch Spurs. “We are in the fight and the game on Saturday showed that we are ready for a fight.” last_img read more

first_img2:30 p.m.South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster gave a brief welcome over video to NASCAR in a virtual version of the traditional pre-race driver meeting.The meeting was streamed on NASCAR.com, and McMasters thanked the stock car series for coming to Darlington for its restart.McMasters said he was disappointed not to be at the track but vowed to be at Darlington’s first race with fans.“I love ‘The Lady in Black,’” McMasters said. “Our drivers, race teams and officials have been eagerly awaiting the opportunity to get back to the race track and we want to assure you that we have taken the return to racing very seriously,” Phelps wrote.NASCAR chose Darlington, the oldest speedway on the Cup circuit, as the safest place to restart the season after eight events were postponed and the series sat idle for 10 weeks amid the global coronavirus pandemic. NASCAR was facing a financial collapse if live races didn’t resume on national television. So the sanctioning body had its health plan approved in South Carolina and North Carolina and released an aggressive schedule that included 20 races across seven Southern states between now and June 21. The first event is called the “The Real Heroes 400” and is dedicated to health care workers fighting COVID-19. Health care workers will give the command to start the engines.Darlington is hosting three events over four days. Roughly 900 essential people have been approved to be inside the gates. After a video saluting healthcare workers, the rules for Sunday’s race were laid out. NASCAR used graphics to present virtual explanations for the racing procedures and the images included simulated fans in the stands. There are no fans permitted to attend a NASCAR race through at least June 21.At least one vehicle attempted to enter the property but was turned away at the only open gate outside the speedway.___1 p.m.Kevin Nobles wasn’t going to miss a race at Darlington Raceway. It didn’t matter that he couldn’t get near the track. Ricky Stenhouse Jr. calls his opening-lap crash “pretty embarrassing.”Stenhouse crashed exiting the second turn on the first lap at Darlington Raceway. His crumpled car was spitting flames as he drove to the garage. He retired from the race without completing a lap. He finished last in the 40-car field. “Not really sure a whole lot what to say there about our first lap, first corner,” he said. “Pretty embarrassing for myself, our team, our crew guys. I feel awful for them. They put a lot of hard work into getting our cars ready.”Stenhouse said he’s looking forward to trying again at Darlington on Wednesday night. ___ “I don’t want one single person to get down,” said Johnson’s crew chief, Cliff Daniels. “We’ve got a great race car, so don’t you get down.”William Byron won the opening stage.Ryan Newman and Chase Elliott were called for speeding on pit road following Johnson’s accident.___4:45 p.m 12:45 p.m.The first sign that Sunday’s race wasn’t a normal one for NASCAR was the lack of traffic on the four-lane highway outside of Darlington Raceway.Traffic is always one of NASCAR’s biggest issues as thousands of fans descend on often rural areas not equipped for the overflow of cars. Participants then turned onto a gravel road guarded by four state trooper vehicles and entered a health screening area. NASCAR officials there checked names, administered a temperature check with a device pointed at the forehead and logged the reading on a chart.Ryan Newman was in the car behind The Associated Press in the screening line. He leaned out his window for the temperature check and removed his hat so the thermometer could scan his forehead. Newman, wearing a camouflage face mask, was cleared to enter the track to prepare for his first race since he suffered a head injury on Feb. 16 in the season-opening Daytona 500.___ ___11:30 a.m.NASCAR Chairman and CEO Jim France is at Darlington Raceway and will remain outside the infield.The 75-year-old France is considered high risk to contract the coronavirus. NASCAR executive Steve O’Donnell posted audio on Twitter in which France grabs the public address microphone in the scoring tower and thanks “the entire industry for their efforts to get us back racing.”Roughly 900 essential people have been approved to be inside the gates. Ryan Newman is running in the top 10 in his first race back since a horrific crash during the final lap of the Daytona 500.Newman suffered a head injury as he skidded across the finish line in the season opener. His return comes exactly three months after the Feb. 17 accident.Newman started 21st in a Ford for Roush Fenway Racing.Meanwhile, Ricky Stenhouse Jr. crashed exiting the second turn on the very first lap of the race. His crumpled car was shooting flames from the back as he drove to the garage. He retired from the race without completing a single lap. He finished last in the 40-car field. ___ Seven-time champion Jimmie Johnson posted a photo of all the things he had to do himself at Darlington.“One of the perks of making it to the big time is showing up to the car with everything ready,” Johnson posted on Twitter. “Times R different right now & some of the responsibilities R mine again. Hopefully the drink bag won’t leak, visor doesn’t fall off, cool shirt is primed correctly & so on. #NascarIsBack”Brad Keselowski, the 2012 champ, also took to Twitter to show his new normal, a pre-race lunch he had to make for himself. It included a few raviolis, two hard-boiled eggs and a roll. He asked if water boiled differently in South Carolina. “Help me, guys. I’m lost,” Keselowski said. “Let’s go racing.”___ 2:40 p.m.Kyle Busch’s car failed inspection twice before Sunday’s race at Darlington Raceway and the reigning Cup champion will drop to the back of the field at the start.Busch is planning to run the first seven of NASCAR’s races resumed schedule over the next 11 days. His No. 18 Toyota from Joe Gibbs Racing was originally slated to start fourth. Busch is winless in Cup through the first four events held before the season was suspended March 13.His only victory of the season was a Truck Series race at Las Vegas the second week of the season.___ 3:55 p.m.NASCAR is back! The Real Heroes 400 is underway at Darlington Raceway, without fans and with masks and social-distancing mandates all around.The new protocols should matter little to the 40 guys who took the green flag for the first live NASCAR race in 10 weeks.Drivers, crews and officials wore face masks during pre-race ceremonies, which were performed remotely. The Fox Sports booth, featuring Mike Joy and four-time champion Jeff Gordon, also was being broadcast remotely from Charlotte, North Carolina. Driver Clint Bowyer wore a mask during a pre-race TV interview. Here’s a quick primer of other things to know: Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditDARLINGTON, S.C. (AP) — The Latest on NASCAR’s return at Darlington Raceway (all times local):___5:15 p.m. May 17, 2020 Holland flew in from Chicago to tailgate with friends from Darlington. The group was at a home directly across from the track. Holland said he didn’t hesitate when the opportunity came up. He says he’ll be back to watch the Southern 500 here in September. ___3 p.m.Because only essential personnel are allowed to attend Sunday’s race, drivers were on their own to prepare for 400 miles of action. They typically have a staff that manages their schedules, prepares their beverages for the race and other important details. 5 p.m.Seven-time NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson wrecked while leading on the final lap of the first stage at Darlington Raceway.Johnson had passed Hendrick Motorsports teammate Alex Bowman for the lead with 10 laps remaining in the opening stage of NASCAR first race in 10 weeks. Johnson was trying to earn his first stage victory of the season — and only his third ever under this system.“I felt like I was going to be able to exit the corner side by side with them and things just went horribly wrong there,” Johnson said. “I feel terrible for my team and everybody at Hendrick Motorsports. We’ve got great race cars and things are coming in the right direction, but things just really didn’t turn out there on Turn 2.”Johnson arrived at Darlington with just 13 laps led in the first four events of the year. He is scheduled to retire from full-time competition at the end of the season. Johnson crashed as he was trying to put Chris Buescher a lap down. It ended his day. Nobles was part of a five-person group setting up a tailgate at an RV park outside the venue known as the the track “Too Tough To Tame.”Nobles, 56, from Aynor and on his way to Myrtle Beach, says he wanted to be close enough “to hear the engines and smell the gas fumes.”Nobles was excited that races were going live and believes it could be a big lift for fans following a 10-week hiatus amid the global coronavirus pandemic. William Coats, another member of the group, said the fellowship they’ll share Sunday is important.___ — Ryan Newman is returning after a suffering a head injury in a last-lap crash in the Daytona 500 on Feb. 17.— Matt Kenseth is out of retirement and driving for Chip Ganassi. He replaces Kyle Larson, who was fired in April for using a racial slur. The 48-year-old Kenseth is racing in the Cup Series for the first time since the 2018 season finale. He is the oldest driver in the field.— NASCAR chose the oldest speedway on the Cup circuit as the safest place to restart its season after eight events were postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic. NASCAR had been facing a financial collapse if races didn’t resume on national television.— This is the first of 20 races across seven Southern states between now and June 21. Darlington is hosting three events in four days.— Roughly 900 people have been approved to be inside the gates, all considered essential. Associated Press The Latest: Stenhouse calls early exit ‘pretty embarrassing’ — Teams are allowed 16 employees per car, including the driver and owner. Most owners gave up their spot because they are either over the age of 65 and at high risk for COVID-19 or their role at the track is not considered critical to competition. Several team members are helping remotely, offering a peek into how sophisticated NASCAR’s technology has become.— The first race back is called The Real Heroes 400 and is dedicated to health care workers. Names of health care workers across the country have been substituted for the drivers’ name above car doors.___3:30 p.m.John Holland might have traveled the farthest to not watch a NASCAR race. NASCAR is returning to racing following a 10-week layoff amid the global pandemic. The Real Heroes 400 begins at 3 p.m.___11 a.m.NASCAR President Steve Phelps is promising “the best race and racing experience possible every time we hit the racetrack.”Phelps released a letter to NASCAR fans Sunday, hours before the racing series returns to the track for the first time in more than two months. 12:30 p.m.Darlington Raceway President Kerry Tharp says he’s amazed at how quickly every part of NASCAR came together to bring back the sport.NASCAR’s top Cup series returns to the track later Sunday after 10 weeks off because of the coronavirus pandemic.Tharp was visiting the Raceway Grill outside Turn 2, where team owners were setting up for a watch party. He says the cooperation in NASCAR was essential in setting up three races over four days.Xfinity drivers race Tuesday night, with Cup series racers going again at Darlington on Wednesday night. ___More AP auto racing: https://apnews.com/apf-AutoRacing and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6last_img read more

first_imgAuthorities in West Palm Beach are currently searching for an 11-year-old boy who reportedly ran away from home.Donte Cruz was last seen at his home on Caribbean BoulevardHe is described as 5-foot-3 and 130 lbs.Authorities are asking the public to call 911 if they see him.last_img

first_imgPittsburgh Pirates’ Gregory Polanco takes the field for warm ups before a baseball game against the Chicago Cubs in Pittsburgh Tuesday, June 10, 2014. It will be Polanco’s Major League debut. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar)PITTSBURGH (AP) – Gregory Polanco seemed to be the only person who didn’t know how much Pittsburgh Pirates’ fans have been anticipating his major league debut.“I’m very surprised,” the 22-year-old outfielder said at an introductory news conference on Tuesday. He didn’t expect that, either.Polanco was recalled from Triple-A Indianapolis late Monday night when second baseman Neil Walker was placed on the 15-day disabled list after undergoing an appendectomy.He was in the lineup, playing right field and batting second, for the game against the Chicago Cubs.Polanco had been one of the top hitters in the minor leagues this season. He was leading the International League with a .347) average and 49 RBIs, and he had seven homers and 15 steals in 62 games.“When you have a player like this come to the major leagues, it’s like graduation day,” Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said. “It’s a day for the organization to celebrate, especially those on the scouting end and in the player development department. We’re excited to have him here.”There had been external pressure from the media and fans on the Pirates to call Polanco up since mid-April as right fielders Travis Snider and Jose Tabata both struggled before being eventually replaced by utility player Josh HarrisonHarrison is expected to be the regular second baseman while Walker recovers.The Pirates insisted they were keeping Polanco in the minors because he needed more developmental time, though keeping him down until this point in the season likely ensures that he will not accrue enough series time this year to gain an extra year of salary arbitration eligibility.Polanco wasn’t concerned with service time issues Monday, though. He was just happy to put a major league uniform on for the first time.“It’s very exciting,” he said. “My dream has come true. I’m in the big leagues.”last_img read more

first_imgULISH CARTER (Photos by Thomas Sabol)This is the 4th installment of a 5 part series on the Pittsburgh Steelers and Bill Nunn Jr. from the upcoming book “Portrait of Eternity; The Life and Journey of Bill Nunn Jr.,” by Aubrey Bruce.  Part 4:The voice of BlacknessIt was 1973, change was not only in the air, change oxygenated and enriched the very atmosphere in which we existed. A young and exuberant Ulish Carter, currently the managing editor of the New Pittsburgh Courier had just graduated from college and talks about those fertile yet volatile times.“My dream was to work for a Black newspaper.” Carter explains.  “My top three choices were the Afro American in Washington, DC, Muhammad Speaks, and the Pittsburgh Courier. I had studied the Courier.  Bill Nunn Jr. and Wendell Smith were my heroes along with Sam Lacy of the Afro American. Those guys were not only sportswriters but they were the greatest sportswriters out there, so when I came to Pittsburgh I already knew about Bill Nunn Jr.  I didn’t know his father was as big as he had been with the Courier but because I was a sportswriter I definitely knew who he (Bill Nunn Jr.) was.last_img read more

first_imgFacebook35Tweet0Pin0Olympia, WA: On Saturday, July 28, 2012, the Junior League of Olympia will be hosting the 2nd annual Touch-a-Truck fundraiser at South Sound Center in Lacey, Washington. The fundraiser offers children of all ages a hands-on opportunity to climb on and explore a huey helicopter, firetruck, SWAT vehicle, race car, excavator, limo and many more in addition to meeting the people who build, protect, and serve Thurston County.The fundraiser starts at 10 am and ends at 4 pm. and includes live entertainment for the whole family with a magician, K-9 and Jaws of Life demonstrations, local bands, and fair atmosphere with food, games, face painting and more. Admission is $5 per person; children 2 and under are admitted for free. Proceeds benefit the Junior League of Olympia’s efforts to prevent child abuse and neglect in our community. For more information, please visit JLOlympia.org.last_img read more