Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A former Nassau County police officer has been sentenced to 15 years in prison for killing his wife in their upstate New York home last year, according to The Associated Press.Charles Wilkinson pleaded guilty in May to manslaughter in Saratoga County court. He was originally charged with second-degree murder.Prosecutors have said that the 69-year-old ex-cop killed his wife, Kathleen, “during a physical domestic dispute” in June 2014 and then “continued to live in the house over the weekend while his wife lay deceased in the bedroom.”Deputies from the Saratoga County Sheriff’s Office made the discovery at the couple’s Malta home when authorities were called to check the condition of the victim, who had not been heard from in several days.Investigators later determined that the woman had been fatally strangled.Prosecutors offered Wilkinson the plea deal because psychiatrists determined he was emotionally disturbed, AP reported.Wilkinson, who retired in 1984, collected a pension of more than $33,000 last year, records show.
OnWednesday, transport groups – including taxis, vans and even tricycles – in thecity and province of Iloilo announced they would be joining the nationwidetransport strike. ILOILOCity – Public and private school classes in all levels here are suspended onSept. 30 due to the nationwide transport strike. Fearingthat the strike could paralyze the city, Treñas said he would have aninter-agency meeting with various government bodies today. Preparations will bediscussed. Butwhile he ordered the suspension of Monday’s classes, Treñas made it clear inExecutive Order No. 89 issued yesterday that it would be business as usual atcity hall. Thejeepney started as remodelled army vehicles left behind by US forces afterWorld War II, and became a showcase of Filipino ingenuity and resourcefulness. Inordering the suspension, Mayor Jerry Treñas said he wanted to minimize theinconvenience that the public, especially students, parents and guardians,school faculty and staff, would suffer. Thephase out of jeepneys 15 years old or older is part of the government’stransport modernization program which aims to minimize air pollution andimprove public transport safety. Heprojected a “95 percent” participation in the strike, including some 5,000tricycles of 22 associations. The transportstrike will start at 12:01 a.m. of Sept. 30 and would end at midnight,according to Edgar Salarda, president of the Pinagkaisang Samahan ng mga Tsuperat Operators Nationwide – Panay which is a member of Alyansa Kontra PUV PhaseOut-Panay. Thereare over 6,000 passenger jeepneys in the city and province of Iloilo, he added. Italso tapped the help of the Philippine Army, Iloilo City Police Office, Bureauof Jail Management and Penology, and Department of Public Works and Highwayswhich all have transport assets such as trucks to ferry stranded people. PHOTO BY IAN PAUL CORDERO/PN However,according to the Alyansa Kontra PUV Phase Out-Panay, a new broad alliance ofvarious transport associations, it would economically displace thousands ofjeepney drivers, operators and their families. Inprevious transport strikes, the city government mobilized its various vehiclesto transport city government workers. Thetransport strike is a protest against the government’s plan to phase out oldjeepneys by July 2020. Mainlypatronized by low- to middle-income passengers, it has become the core ofPhilippine public transport./PN