Have you witnessed racial stereotyping among students at Oxford? You can contact our news team using this address: [email protected] Regardless of whether of the rugby social was indeed eventually held under a ‘Jewish’ theme, organisations expressed outrage that the offensive theme had even been considered in the first place.“We are appalled”A spokesman for the Union of Jewish Students for the United Kingdom said,“The actions of a few students have caused real offence.“We are appalled that in 2008 old myths and anti-Semitic stereotypes are still appearing amongst supposedly educated students.”A spokesman for CST (Community Security Trust), a national body responsible for providing training and advice for the protection of British Jews, said he could not believe what had been planned. “This event sounds at best extremely insensitive and stupid and at worst blatantly anti-Semitic and likely to cause feelings of vulnerability and isolation for Jewish students,” he said.“It is very disturbing to see actions that years ago would have been resolutely condemned as racism now becoming acceptable at Oxford.”The captain of the Under 21’s rugby squad admitted that a “bring a fit Jew’ party had been planned but denied that it had gone ahead.“This is completely not true”Asked to confirm whether the social did feature Jewish costumes, he insisted, “This is completely not true. There was no Jewish theme at all.”He stressed that the original theme had never been meant to offend anyone. “I don’t see what the problem is,” he said.“I can understand why it might have offended some people but it would have been an awesome social.“All the Jewish girls who had been invited were really looking forward to it. They knew what the theme was and they are still going.”Another member of the rugby squad, who wished to remain anonymous, said that he had initially thought the theme was “fairly good banter” but in retrospect had realised the incident was “not in touch with moral values of society.” A “bring a fit Jew” party organised by the Under 21’s squad of the Oxford University Rugby Club has sparked an investigation by the University.Guests were told to bring a ‘fit’ Jewish girl to the event which was due to be held on Wednesday night.Officials from the Oxford University Students’ Union rushed to have the controversial theme changed at the last minute, with the rugby captain giving assurances that the theme had been altered to “bring a fit girl” instead.Despite this a number of students have claimed a number of the players still attended the event fully dressed in stereotypical Jewish attire, although this has been denied by the captain of the squad.“Unacceptable behaviour”A spokesperson for Oxford University confirmed that an investigation had been launched into the incident.“We are currently investigating a report about inappropriate and unacceptable behaviour by two or three students,” she said.“We cannot comment directly on the case as we have yet to establish the facts. However, the University unreservedly condemns racial stereotyping.”Meanwhile, the Oxford University Jewish Chaplain confirmed that he had received complaints from several appalled students the morning after the event at Jamal’s curryhouse in Jericho.“It did go ahead as planned,” said Aaron Katchen.“Four different students called me. Some saw people after they had left [the venue].”He added that one complaint was sparked after a rugby player was heard bragging about the Jewish costume he had worn.“If people and institutions of the University can find humour in portraying minorities in such a fashion then I am disappointed in students of this intellectual calibre.”
ELLSWORTH — The 11th annual Flattop 5K and kids’ Fun Run is slated for Saturday, March 26, in Lamoine.The race is held in honor of the late Bill Pinkham, a dedicated runner in the community.The kids’ one-mile run is set for 9:30 a.m., and the 5K begins at 10. The cost is $15 for 5K runners and $1 for the Fun Run.Races begin at the Lamoine Consolidated School, which is on Route 184 — about six miles from the intersection of routes 1 and 184.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textRegistration closes on race day at 9 a.m. for the Fun Run and 9:30 for the 5K.For more information, call Robin Emery at 667-9219.
Off to one of its best starts in recent years, the Wisconsin women’s tennis team still wants more.With an 11-7, 2-2 Big Ten record, Wisconsin has renewed energy and a hunger for victory that is pushing them to continually improve.“We’re just trying to make sure that we get better every day,” head coach Brian Fleishman said. “We don’t want to get complacent or lazy and think that we’ve accomplished something great – we haven’t, not yet. It’s been a better season, but Big Ten is our goal. The next six matches are going to be dogfights and it’s basically going to be who wants it more and I think this team is really hungry.”This weekend is Wisconsin’s first chance to prove its hunger against Indiana (10-8, 0-5 Big Ten) Saturday and Purdue (9-6, 3-2 Big Ten) Sunday.Recently, Indiana has given Wisconsin quite a bit of trouble, especially last year in a 4-3 win.“They know that that 4-3 loss to Indiana last year, we let it slip away. We’re going to use that from last year to motivate us to get us through the match this year,” Fleishman said. “Indiana, they’re always tough. I think we’re a much better team than we were last year and I think their team is good, but we’re just a better team in general. It’s all going to come down to how we perform on game day – errors to winner ratio, how we conduct ourselves emotionally. I think this team that I have this year really wants it bad.”After another 4-3 loss to Purdue as well, the Badgers feel they’ll be able to edge out the Hoosiers and the Boilermakers this weekend and continue building the success they’ve had this season.“We’re just building off that,” junior Alaina Trgovich said. “IU and Purdue were both 4-3 matches last year, so I think we’re just really pumped up for that and this year, I think we have the edge over them.”Despite having a better season overall this year, the Badgers still faced disappointment last weekend after being shut out by the Wolverines.Last Sunday, Wisconsin fell 7-0 to No. 8 Michigan. Regardless of the tough loss, the Badgers feel confident they learned a lot and can use the experience to help move forward.“We’re looking at the Michigan loss – we learned a lot from that match,” Fleishman said. “We know they’re at a certain level and we want to strive to get to that level. Now, we kind of know what we need to do, how we need to play and how we need to perform on game day against quality teams like that.”The loss to Michigan marked Wisconsin’s last home match until the end of April. Heading on the road the next two weekends, the Badgers know they need to bring as much energy to the court as possible.“I think we have to go into the matches excited since it’s not going to be at home, we’re not going to have that support,” freshman Jenny Hois said. “The support is going to have to come from us and if we go in there excited and ready to play, then we’ll have good results.”Entering the toughest portion of its season, Wisconsin is cognizant of maintaining its confidence level.“We’re playing great,” Hois said. “As long as we go into the matches respecting everybody but not fearing anyone, that’s the biggest thing. If you go in there confident… if you are expecting to win, then you won’t ever have that feeling of desperation during the match. Confidence is the biggest thing.”
The organizers of Miami Carnival 2017 assure revelers that Hurricane Irma has not ruined the September 30 to October 8th schedule of the annual Caribbean-style carnival.For those getting ready to invite their non-Caribbean friends to the biggest Caribbean Fête in South Florida, Miami Carnival, these friends may hear some Caribbean words and phrases that they don’t understand.To help all the non-Caribbean people who plan to go out and enjoy Miami Carnival events taking place, the organizers have developed a list of words and phrases and their meaning to help these people out.Some of the phrases and words include:All Yuh: All of youBacchanal: A carnival. A large party or celebration, a wild partyBess: When something or someone is attractive, or amazingCalypso: This Afro-Caribbean music often involves a moral tale or a political commentaryCanboulay: A celebration of the abolition of slavery with costumes and drummingChutney: A type of sweet and spicy condiment that is used like salsa; a form of music indigenous to the southern Caribbean which derives elements from soca and Indian Film songs.Das Meh Real Horse/Bredrin: That’s my good friendDingolay: To dance in a joyful, carefree mannerDoh Hot Yuh Head: Don’t worry about itDutty: Dirty in a standard or provocative wayEnt: Don’t you agree, RightFella: GuyFête: a celebration or festival, honor or entertain (someone) lavishly.Gyul: GirlHototo: More than enough; In great abundance;Jam: To be enjoy one’s self, particularly at a party or danceJump up: Get up and danceLeh Weh Go: Let’s GoLime/Liming: To Party. Hanging OutMake Style: To Show offMas: A carnival. Music played for a carnival, or a band playing thisPadna: Close FriendParang: Music played during Christmas time, with a lot of Spanish influencesPlay Mas: To participate in a parade, float, or troupe during Carnival.Pompasetting: Showing offSaga/Star Boy: a male who likes to “make style”; a male who is coolSoca: a type of music indigenous to TnT, derived from “soul calypso”Ting: ThingWhas de scene: What’s upWine/Whining: A dance, particularly one that involves gyrations of the waist, hips and buttocks. To dance in a suggestive manner. Signature events offered for the 2017 Miami Carnival season include:Junior CarnivalSaturday, September 30, 2017 – Noon – 10pmFantastic FridayFriday, October 6,2017 – Miami Broward Carnival Duck Work Lunch Time Bacchanal. Noon – 4pmFriday, October 6, 2017 – Miami Broward Carnival King/Queen/Individual/Panorama Competition. 4pm – 11pmJ’OuvertSaturday, October 7, 2017-Miami Broward Carnival Official J’Ouvert. 7am – 3pmCarnival DaySunday, October 8, 2017 – Miami Carnival Parade of Bands and Concert. 12noon -11pm
– ‘Win-win-win’ –IOC president Thomas Bach said he was confident any remaining hurdles could be cleared.“We are very confident that we can reach a tripartite agreement under the leadership of the IOC with LA and Paris in August, creating a win-win-win situation for all three partners,” he said.“This agreement will be put forward to the IOC Session in Lima in September for ratification.”Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo said on Twitter: “Happy that my friend @MayorofLA has made an important new step on an agreement that will have three winners: Paris, Los Angeles and the IOC #Paris2024”LA bid officials had scheduled a press conference for 5pm (0000 GMT) with Los Angeles mayor Eric Garcetti and bid chief Casey Wasserman about the bid.LA city council member Gil Cedillo had already tweeted “hashtag goes from #LA2024 to #LA2028”, and City Council president Herb Wesson was enthusiastic.“The City of Los Angeles is a proud and enthusiastic partner in this ‘win-win-win’ scenario,” he said.While local backing is seen as crucial to the success of any Games, the bid committee also singled out the support of US President Donald Trump as they try to bring the Games back to the United States.The USA last hosted the Summer Olympics in Atlanta in 1996 while the Winter Games were held in Salt Lake City in 2002.“Since his election, President Trump has been personally involved in helping to make LA’s bid a truly American bid and the White House Office of American Innovation and the US Senate and House of Representatives have been true partners throughout,” they said.“The USOC and Los Angeles bid team greatly appreciate their strong commitment to bringing the Olympic and Paralympic Games back to the United States.”Share on: WhatsApp Los Angeles, United States | AFP | Los Angeles formally announced its intent to host the 2028 Summer Olympics on Monday after agreeing a deal with Games officials that paves the way for Paris to host in 2024.“The Los Angeles Olympic and Paralympic bid committee in cooperation with the International Olympic Committee (IOC), today announced its intention for Los Angeles to host the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games 2028 and its agreement with the Host City Contract 2028,” the LA bid committee said in a statement, confirming earlier comments from city officials.The deal, trumpeted as a “win-win-win” for Los Angeles, Paris and the IOC, will bring the Summer Olympics to Los Angeles for a third time, after the city staged the Games in 1984 and 1932.Los Angeles had been in a race with Paris for 2024, with the winner to be named by the IOC on September 13 in Lima.But the possibility that Los Angeles would abandon a 2024 bid and instead accept the 2028 Games has been growing since the IOC decided in July that in an unprecedented move it would attempt to award both Games at its Lima meeting.Paris had remained insistent on hosting in 2024, on the 100th anniversary of the city’s 1924 Olympics.LA bid officials, who had put forward a $5.3 billion bid for 2024, said Monday that an agreement had been reached with the IOC on financial considerations that would make waiting an extra four years feasible.“Under the terms of the Host City Contract 2028, the IOC will advance funds to a Los Angeles Organizing Committee in view of the longer planning period and to increase participation and access to youth sports programs in the City of Los Angeles in the years leading up to the Games,” their statement said.“The IOC contribution as stipulated by the HCC is $1.8 billion and has the potential to exceed $2 billion according to the evaluation of the LA bid committee when taking into account the estimated value of existing sponsor agreements to be renewed and potential new marketing deals.”The agreement must still be approved by the Los Angeles City Council and the United States Olympic Committee — both of which backed the 2024 bid.“The Los Angeles City Council and United States Olympic Committee Board of Directors will consider the agreement for approval in August,” the bid committee said.“If approved, the IOC, LA and Paris may enter a tripartite agreement, clearing the way for IOC Membership to simultaneously confirm the Olympic Games 2024 to Paris and the Olympic Games 2028 to Los Angeles at the next IOC session in Lima, Peru on September 13, 2017.”
14 May 2020 Government clarification on coaching and retail provision Tags: Coronavirus Tuesday’s joint statement referred to some outstanding questions on Professional shops, driving ranges, and coaching. Today we are able to provide updates on two of these.Yesterday evening (13 May), the UK Government clarified the COVID-19 restrictions regarding golf coaching and retail in England.CoachingThe UK Government has confirmed that one-to-one coaching is permissible under strict infection control measures, observing social distancing and must take place outside. In order to comply with this regulation, you should enforce strict hygiene measures and it is recommended that PGA professionals complete a comprehensive risk assessment and refer to the coaching guidelines on the PGA COVID-19 resource hub.PGA Resource HubFull details of the guidance for coaches on the phased return of sport and recreation can be found on the government website:Coach guidance on return of sportRetailThe UK Government has released updated documentation, which includes a section titled ‘Businesses and Venues’. It stipulates that, “All retail, other than those exempt, must close their premises to members of the public. However, staff may be present to make deliveries or provide services in response to orders such as those through telephone, online, or mail”.As the list of exemptions does not currently include golf retail, these premises must remain closed, except for Click and Collect services.Essential access to a building such as a Professional shop for Clubs which operate a booking system to regulate tee times and take payment, is permissible provided appropriate social distancing precautionary measures are put in place.Full details of the guidance for providers of outdoor facilities on the phased return of sport and recreation can be found here:Guidance for outdoor facilitiesFurther ClarificationWe continue to pursue clarification of the COVID-19 restrictions with regards to driving ranges and custom-fitting across the UK. We will update you as further clarifications become available. In the meantime, our advice remains unchanged: where there is any room for doubt the safest option should be pursued.The following organisations have come together to provide direction for golf in the UK during the COVID-19 crisis: The Belfry; the British and International Golf Greenkeepers Association; the British Golf Industry Association; England Golf; the Golf Club Managers’ Association; Golf Ireland; the Golfing Union of Ireland; the Irish Ladies’ Golf Union; IMG; The Professional Golfers’ Association; PING; The R&A; Scottish Golf; Syngenta; the UK Golf Federation; Wales Golf.
Pittsburgh Pirates’ Gregory Polanco takes the field for warm ups before a baseball game against the Chicago Cubs in Pittsburgh Tuesday, June 10, 2014. It will be Polanco’s Major League debut. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar)PITTSBURGH (AP) – Gregory Polanco seemed to be the only person who didn’t know how much Pittsburgh Pirates’ fans have been anticipating his major league debut.“I’m very surprised,” the 22-year-old outfielder said at an introductory news conference on Tuesday. He didn’t expect that, either.Polanco was recalled from Triple-A Indianapolis late Monday night when second baseman Neil Walker was placed on the 15-day disabled list after undergoing an appendectomy.He was in the lineup, playing right field and batting second, for the game against the Chicago Cubs.Polanco had been one of the top hitters in the minor leagues this season. He was leading the International League with a .347) average and 49 RBIs, and he had seven homers and 15 steals in 62 games.“When you have a player like this come to the major leagues, it’s like graduation day,” Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said. “It’s a day for the organization to celebrate, especially those on the scouting end and in the player development department. We’re excited to have him here.”There had been external pressure from the media and fans on the Pirates to call Polanco up since mid-April as right fielders Travis Snider and Jose Tabata both struggled before being eventually replaced by utility player Josh HarrisonHarrison is expected to be the regular second baseman while Walker recovers.The Pirates insisted they were keeping Polanco in the minors because he needed more developmental time, though keeping him down until this point in the season likely ensures that he will not accrue enough series time this year to gain an extra year of salary arbitration eligibility.Polanco wasn’t concerned with service time issues Monday, though. He was just happy to put a major league uniform on for the first time.“It’s very exciting,” he said. “My dream has come true. I’m in the big leagues.”