first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

first_imgBy Scott OwenSHAWANO, Wis. (July 16) – Mark Weisnicht scored his first Xtreme Motor Sports IMCA Modified win of the season Saturday at Shawano Speedway.Shawn Frelich jumped into the lead on the opening lap and was immediately pressured by Jim Zdroik. Weisnicht raced his way past Zdroik for the second position on lap seven.  Zdroik, Jerry Wilinski, and Lance Arneson completed the top five on ten.As Wilinski’s machine drifted up the track he made contact with the Frelich. Frelich’s car got into the wall, ending his night. Wilinski was charged with the caution and sent to the rear of the field. Weisnicht, who had been running third, inherited the lead and was able to hold off Zdroik and Arneson for the victory.Joe White had the car to beat early on in the IMCA Sunoco Stock Car feature. White, who had been pressured by B.J. Giese for numerous laps, led the first eight laps before 10th starting Travis Van Straten made an inside pass for the lead.Giese followed Van Straten past White for second as White coasted to the pit area with mechanical woes. As Van Straten began to pull away, Giese ran second while Mike Schmidt and Dan Michonski battled for third.  At the end it was Van Straten scoring the win over Giese, Michonski, Schmidt and Luke Uttecht.In Karl Chevrolet Northern SportMod action, Brian Besaw led the first four laps before Jordan Barkholtz took the top spot away on lap five.  Behind Barkholtz, Colten VanHierden and Lucas Lamberies moved to second and third on lap seven.On lap nine, Lamberies used a slide job to take second from VanHierden and then set out to run down the leader.  On lap 11, Lamberies unleashed another slide job to take the lead from Barkholtz. Lamberies went on to win the race.  VanHierden made a last-lap pass to take second.  Barkholtz, Kyle Raddant, and Besaw completed the top five.last_img read more

first_imgNOTTINGHAM, England, CMC – Shai Hope and captain Jason Holder struck half-centuries, but a late batting collapse sent West Indies to a hugely disappointing 15-run defeat to Australia, squandering an ideal opportunity to notch their second straight win of the ICC World Cup here Thursday.Poor officiatingIn pursuit of 289 at Trent Bridge in a contest marked by poor officiating, West Indies were well placed at one stage on 190 for four in the 35th over but then watched as five wickets tumbled for 66 runs, as the Caribbean side paid the price for injudicious strokes late in the innings and ended on 273 for nine off their 50 overs.Hope top scoresHope top-scored with a patient 68 off 105 balls that included seven fours, and appeared to be steering West Indies to victory but his demise in the 35th sparked the West Indies slide, handing Australia their second straight win of the tournament.Holder struck 51 off 57 balls with seven fours and a six and hopes of a Windies victory were kept alive once he remained at the wicket. Mitchell Starc’s return for a final spell, however, sounded the death knell, as he knocked over Carlos Brathwaite (16) and Holder in the 46th over to quickly end the Windies bid.Left-hander Nicholas Pooran struck 40 while Chris Gayle and Shimron Hetmyer both got 21, but West Indies lost wickets at key moments which hurt their run chase.Aussie left-arm seamer Starc claimed five for 46 while fast bowler Pat Cummins supported with two for 41.Tail-ender Nathan Coulter-Nile had earlier struck a career-best 92 and stroke-maker Steve Smith, 73, as Australia recovered from 38 for four in the eighth over to reach 288 all out off 49 overs.Coulter-Nile, batting at number eight, struck eight fours and four sixes in a robust 60-ball knock which dug the Aussies out of trouble while Smith faced 103 balls and counted seven fours.Carlos Brathwaite got wickets at the back end of the innings to end with three for 67 while fellow pacers Andre Russell (2-41), Sheldon Cottrell (2-56) and Oshane Thomas (2-63) finished with two wickets each.last_img read more

first_imgFinn Harps and Longford Town must do it all again on Monday evening in Finn Park, after neither side could break the deadlock in a lacklustre FAI Cup tie that failed to liven up.Town were hit by injuries and illness for this game with six first team regulars missing. They lacked the cutting edge and guile going forward with Jacques Morley and Cathal Brady in particular, big losses.Chances were at a premium in a drab and dour first half. It was probably the worst 45 minutes of football witnessed in Flancare Park this season. Harps had the first chance on goal in the seventh minute. Mark Forker’s free from the left met the head of Keith Cowen but his effort just went over. Town broke down the other end and after receiving a pass from Lee Roche, Don Cowan bore down on goals but he really should’ve done better with his shot. Neither side could take a grip on proceedings; there was plenty of ball but no end product. Harps looked good on the counter and tried to stretch the Town’s defence on a few occasions but they were able to contain them.  They had a glorious opportunity to break the deadlock in the 34th minute. Forker’s cross from the right fell nicely to Tommy Bonner who was in a good position but he couldn’t get his effort on target.The blistering pace of Cowan was causing problems for the Harps defence. In the 44th minute he broke into the box and drilled a lot low across the face of the goal, unfortunately there was no one there to turn it in and Harps were able to clear.Harps were reduced to 10 men eleven minutes after the restart. The linesman on the opposite side of the ground alerted referee John McLoughlin to something. After their discussion McLoughlin flashed a red card at Harps’ Kevin McHugh for dissent.Despite being down a man the visitors pushed forward and tried to find a way past Town keeper Alvin Rouse. In the 64th minute they broke down the field. Mark Brolly turned Gary Cronin and laid the ball off to Gareth Harkin but his shot was excellently blocked by the body of Town defender Paddy Collins, who literally threw himself at the ball. The game faded as a contest with no clear-cut chances created by either side. Harps will be the happier of the teams after this result, having to play the majority of the second half with 10 men.  For the Town it’s another game they don’t really want with the squad already stretched.Longford Town: Alvin Rouse; Chris Deans, Des Hope, Paddy Collins, Gary Cronin; Lee Roche, Craig Walsh, Mark Salmon, Aidan Roche (Daniel O’Reilly 80); Don Cowan, Austin Skelly.Subs not used: Niall O’Reilly, Peter Sczcerbowski, Darren Carberry.Bookings: Chris Deans (12).Finn Harps: Ciaran Gallagher; Paddy McLaughlin, Keith Cowen, Packie Mailey, Ciaran Coll; Mark Forker, Aaron McElwee, Tommy Bonner, Marc Brolly (Garbhan Friel 91), Gareth Harkin; Kevin McHugh.Subs not used: Lee McFadden, Christy Connaghan, James Doherty, Blaine Curtis.Bookings: Keith Cowen (29), Kevin McHugh (31).Sending off: Kevin McHugh (56). Referee: John McLoughlin (Athlone).Attendance: 300 (estimate) Man of the Match: Gary Cronin (Longford Town).HARPS DRAW IN CUP TO SET UP MONDAY REPLAY was last modified: June 4th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more