FRISCO, Texas – Northwestern State’s Micah Larkins and Abilene Christian’s Josh Hunter are the Southland Conference Men’s Outdoor Track & Field Athletes of the Week, the league announced Wednesday. Southland Athletes of the Week are presented by MidSouth Bank.Larkins reached new heights this over the weekend, competing for the Demons at the Prairie View A&M Relays in Prairie View, Texas. The senior recorded a first-place finish in the 100-meter dash with a scorching 10.26 clip to top a field of 10 finalists. Larkins also pushed his NSU squad to a first-place performance in the 4x100m relay with a team time of 40.14.Hunter improved to No. 4 in the nation in the discus throw over the weekend at the Baylor Invitational with a second-place heave of 192-06. The Wildcat hurler also competed in the shot-put event where he finished seventh overall with a throw of 51-03.75.Men’s Outdoor Track Athlete of the Week – Micah Larkins, Northwestern State – Sr. – Princeton, La.Larkins’ 100m performance clinched a time of 10.26, ranking 12th in the world. The mark also stands fifth in the country and first in the NCAA among wind-legal times this season. The award marks the first of the season for the Princeton, La., native.Honorable Mention: Jamie Crowe, Lamar; AJ Bennett, Stephen F. Austin; Matthew Hernandez, Incarnate Word.Men’s Outdoor Field Athlete of the Week – Josh Hunter, Abilene Christian – Gr. – Abilene, TexasHunter moved up to No. 4 nationally in the discus throw Saturday afternoon with a toss of 192-06 at he Baylor Invitational. The Abilene, Texas, product finished second in the competition with a personal-best throw of 58.69m (192-6), which he recorded in the third round after reaching 55.65m (182-7) in the opening round.Honorable Mention: Rodney Littlejohn, Incarnate Word; Logan Robinson, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi; Webster Slaughter, Lamar.Southland weekly award winners are nominated and voted upon by each school’s sports information director. Voting for one’s own athlete is not permitted. To earn honorable mention, a student-athlete must appear on at least 25 percent of ballots.
Neville ‘Bertis’ Bell, long-time St George’s College (STGC) football coach, while surprised by his team’s perfect four wins from as many games, says there will be no let up, noting St George’s must improve all areas of play, win their zone and qualify for the ISSA/FLOW Super Cup.Bell’s ‘light blues’ team were beaten Manning Cup and Walker Cup finalists last season, but emphatically won the FLOW Super Cup with a 4-0 defeat of previous champions Jamaica College.With STGC’s 24 goals scored and one conceded so far, Bell is not satisfied yet, but is calling his charges to prepare as a team for tougher games as the first round heads to a climax.”We don’t take anything for granted and we play hard because this zone is a tough zone, and we are not out of it yet. We certainly would like to qualify for the Super Cup and we would certainly have to win the zone,” the coach told The Gleaner, following his team’s 11-0 mauling of lowly Tarrant High on Saturday at Winchester Park, St George’s College.UPCOMING MATCHESThe North Street-based school will have several remaining first-round games to play, including a continuation of the match away to Excelsior High, which was called off due to former captain Dominic James’s passing. They will also line up against Greater Portmore and Tivoli Gardens High in return fixtures.”We can improve in every single area, the defence, midfield. We are not there yet and there are many more games to go,” the coach reasoned.”We thought with Dominic, we would do well and we still think we will do well. We need to improve in all areas, we are not there yet,” he stressed, adding that no game is an easy game, despite their winning margins.”We certainly have some tough games, we have taken every single one seriously so far,” Bell explained. “There are still many more miles to go.”
Dear Editor,Owners of the MovieTowne mall are complaining of the red tape in getting business done.This news is not good for promoting an enabling investment climate. Notwithstanding that this project was initiated under the former Government and that the land might have been sold to Chin below market price, the current Government should not frustrate, or allow its agencies to frustrate the process. Jobs are going to be created here and Guyana’s entertainment and food options will enjoy international brands.What the current Government should have been doing is talking to Chin about investing with small farmers, with Government, with small manufacturers in ventures that are needed to support the operations of the complex. Most of the food being offered at this complex should be sourced locally through a reliable supply arrangement that would ensure the required quality of vegetables, plantains, fruit, eggs, meat, peppers etc. I would like to suggest to the Government that it immediately enter into discussion with Chin to move this project along, while encouraging him to look at putting in place mechanisms to provide for local farmers/manufacturers to be contract suppliers of quality produce and products.There are those on social media who point to the fact that there is a case in the courts against Singh and Brassington regarding the sale of Government land and other assets below market value to various companies and investors including Chin.This is a fact. But nowhere, at least up to now, has Chin been accused of any wrongdoing. My understanding of the charges brought so far against the two former Government operatives are not for receiving cutbacks or any bribes from Chin or anyone else. There is no injunction, or application for an injunction before the Court to halt this project.Unless and/or until Chin is alleged, let alone is charged with having been involved in any corrupt act concerning this project, the Government of Guyana must continue to facilitate through discussion and negotiation, in keeping with the agreement he has signed, the development of this investment. He signed an agreement with the Government of Guyana, not the People’s Progressive Party/Civic.If on the other hand, the Government has suspicion or evidence of wrongdoing on Chin’s part, then it should so inform him.It is no secret that governments around the world, including Guyana under President Hoyte sold land and distressed companies to investors below market value so as to save and modernise those companies. The incentives offered is usually dependent on the level of investment to be made and the contribution of the activity to the socio-economic development including job creation. Many countries have also amended their Alien Land Holding Act to facilitate foreign investment especially for hotel development and large-scale manufacturing.I find it unfortunate that this issue has to play out in the media. Did Chin and the Private Sector Commission exhaust all efforts for a meeting with the Government?Sincerely,Wesley Kirton
TELUS restores telephone service to 1,100 customers in MontneyÂ At 11:30, TELUS restored telephone service to about 1,100 customers in the Montney area who lost service around 10:00 a.m.A power surge resulted from a lightning strike earlier this morning. TELUS crews were onsite quickly and were able to restore service.TELUS thanks its customers for their patience during the outage.- Advertisement –
Other cities that have also launched U-verse include Anaheim, Burbank, Glendale, Fullerton, Laguna Niguel, Riverside, Tustin, Santa Clarita, Garden Grove and Altadena. “We are definitely going to expand within Montebello,” said Nolan, stressing this is not a test market. “Montebello is a very important marketplace.” For more on this story, pick up tomorrow’s Whittier Daily News. MONTEBELLO – Some consumers in the city now have a third choice, along with satellite and cable, for subscription pay television. Earlier this month, AT&T, the telephone company giant, launched U-verse – a new television and high-speed Internet service folded into one package. “We were looking to roll out this new system in communities that had a customer base with a desire for choice in their TV and broadband services,” said Kieran Nolan, At&T vice president and general manager for the Los Angeles area. “Montebello was on the top of the list.” Currently, consumers living near the Montebello Country Club and Golf Course, 901 Via San Clemente, have access to U-verse. 165Let’s talk business.Catch up on the business news closest to you with our daily newsletter. Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Firefighters are said to be remaining vigilant as the next 3 days are expected to bring drier weather and increased temperatures, proving ideal conditions for fire growth.Fire Information Officer, Jill Kelsh says the fire is still reported as encompassing just under 16,000 hectares, with over 200 firefighters, 9 helicopters and 17 pieces of heavy equipment on scene.However, it is still reported as 0 per cent contained.- Advertisement -“We have made really good progress but we are expecting fire activity to increase over the next 24 hours with temperatures potentially going to reach 30 degrees today,” Kelsh said.Kelsh says heavy equipment has managed to put in 75 kilometres of guard around the perimeter with ongoing extinguishing efforts underway. “We do have crews that are following the heavy equipment with powerful hoses to extinguish all the hot spots around this area,” Kelsh explained.Advertisement The incident management team is requesting that residents be patient in allowing convoys of firefighter vehicles to safely commute to and from the Mt.McAllister fire, asking them to avoid trying to pass the convoys, typically in transit 7 a.m. – 8 a.m., and 6 p.m. – 7 p.m. daily. An area restriction remains in place around the fire.
Louis van Gaal 1 Louis van Gaal says the Champions League play-off with Club Brugge is the most important test of his Manchester United career so far.Brugge visit Old Trafford on Tuesday night before the tie concludes at the Jan Breydel Stadium next Wednesday.United are big favourites to see off the Belgians over two legs but Van Gaal is not taking them lightly and knows failure to reach the competition proper will be a disaster for himself and the club.“Of course,” Van Gaal said when asked if this was his most significant fixture since taking charge at Old Trafford.“I have already explained, the players want to participate (in the Champions League) and the board wants to participate, but especially the fans want to participate so the pressure is high.”History suggests United should have an easy ride. The aggregate score of their last three home games against Belgian opponents is 18-1.Brugge’s squad has been decimated by injury in the build-up to the match, and they needed a stoppage-time winner to beat KV Kortrijk on Friday.Van Gaal could have been draw against Lazio or Monaco in the play-off, but is still wary of the threat the Belgians will pose.“I think it is a difficult draw,” he said.“Brugge can defend very well and they can attack also, so it shall be a difficult match and that is why the pressure is high.”Brugge playmaker Victor Vazquez is hoping to deal a blow to his old coach on Tuesday.Most of the players in the Brugge team will be unfamiliar to United fans, but Van Gaal knows all about Vazquez.The Spaniard was coming through Barcelona’s famous youth academy, La Masia, during Van Gaal’s two spells as head coach of the Catalan giants.Vazquez has brief but positive memories of the Dutchman, who highlighted the 28-year-old as one of Brugge’s main threats at his pre-match press conference on Monday.”It’s always nice to hear about the big ones,” said Vazquez when asked about Van Gaal’s positive comments about him.”I met him in Barcelona. I was young, maybe 11 or 12 years old but my impression was that he was a really hard coach with a lot of character and personality, just like he is now.”I didn’t meet him a lot of times but I think he is one of the biggest coaches in football, for sure.”Brugge, who are managed by former Belgium goalkeeper Michel Preud’homme, are without eight players through injury.United’s only absentee is Phil Jones, who is out with mild thrombosis.
1 Cristhian Stuani celebrates his goal against Brighton in their 1-1 draw Middlesbrough are back in the Premier League following their 1-1 draw with 10-man Brighton at the Riverside.There will be no perilous play-offs for the hosts this year thanks to Cristhian Stuani, who opened the scoring.Brighton needed to win to seal automatic promotion, but a poor first half display meant it was a big ask to turn things around in the second 45 minutes even after Dale Stephens briefly gave them hope.However, his red card made it difficult in a game Boro should really have had wrapped up by half-time.Supporters were bemused prior to the game when manager Aitor Karanka left Jordan Rhodes, with 16 goals in the Championship this season, on the bench, but it was justified in the end even if Boro could have scored three or four.The Riverside was rocking before kick-off and referee Mike Dean had to be alert as the tackles were flying from the start and it took the hosts just 20 minutes to score.Gaston Ramirez’s looping cross to the back post was knocked down by David Nugent, taking out goalkeeper David Stockdale to leave Stuani with an open goal from three yards.Cue scenes of exuberant celebrations.Stuani almost double the lead five minutes later, but Connor Goldson’s superb goal line block kept his side in it, but Brighton did not appear capable of scoring and it was left to Boro to keep attacking, with Ramirez going close when his chip looped over Stockdale and onto the roof of the net.Brighton were poor, but the saving grace for manager Chris Hughton when Dean blew the whistle for half-time was that it was only 1-0.And there was hope for the visitors in a crazy five-minute spell shortly after the restart when Stephens equalised, but was also sent off.The no.6 was there at the back post to head in Anthony Knockaert’s free-kick before a reckless tackle on Ramirez left the Boro player with a nasty looking cut on his leg and in need of lengthy treatment.In between the chaos, Nugent had a glorious chance to restore the hosts’ lead, but was thwarted in the box by Gordon Greer.As the game headed towards the end, Brighton fans willed their team forward and the home support held their collective breath when it was revealed there would be eight minutes of stoppage time.However, Boro came through it and will join champions Burnley in the Premier League next season, and as Brighton’s players trudged off at full-time with the play-offs to look forward to, jubilant Boro fans engulfed players on the pitch to celebrate.
The SIPTU call for the inclusion of an economic growth stimulus to be provided in conjunction with the Fiscal Treaty has been strongly supported by Independent MEP Marian Harkin.Referring to the meeting of the Oireachtas European Affairs Committee held on Friday last which was addressed by SIPTU General President Jack O’Connor, she said: “This Treaty will be but one step in the process of returning the European Union and Ireland back on the road towards economic recovery.“This recovery will not happen by merely passing the upcoming Treaty. While passing the Treaty will guarantee access to emergency funding from the ESM, there will also be a requirement for a number of other steps to build a new and secure future for citizens.” The SIPTU proposal to develop an imaginative off balance-sheet strategy involving the pensions industry and the pension fund is a welcome, realistic and realisable way to obtain the pump priming funding for a programme of infrastructural development which could make a substantial contribution to national economic recovery.“While it will obviously not be possible for the Government to complete the planning of such a programme before the Referendum on May 31st they should immediately commence discussions at senior Ministerial level with the pensions industry and relevant EU bodies to develop a structure leading to the release of large scale funding from the pensions sector along the lines detailed by SIPTU.“Citizens deserve to have as many good solid reasons as possible to vote for the Fiscal Compact Treaty. They also need to be given hope that they are not facing bleak decades ahead because the Government may lack the imagination necessary to consider and act upon well founded proposals such as those put forward by SIPTU.“The objectives of the Fiscal Treaty will not be achieved in Ireland without economic growth. The SIPTU proposals should help to bring about that economic growth”, she concluded. RECESSION: GROWTH STIMULUS NEEDED, SAYS MEP HARKIN was last modified: April 30th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:RECESSION: GROWTH STIMULUS NEEDEDSAYS MEP HARKIN