first_imgStudent Senate met in LaFortune Student Center on Wednesday night to discuss potential issues with the revised O’SNAP program and possible future budget cuts.“I think there’s been some concern about the ways that SafeWalk and O’SNAP are being utilized. … There have been some issues with dispatching SafeWalk; I know it’s not an isolated thing,” St. Edward’s Hall senator and sophomore Jake Wittenberg said. “There have been a few issues with dispatching and a little clarification that we could take back to dorms, or some discussion on the procedures and efficiency of the program would be helpful.”While the topic will not enter into a formal discussion for a few weeks, other senators shared similar sentiments.“I feel like there’s been some discrimination with size and gender,” Keenan Hall senator and junior Ryan Rizzuto said. “… A few weeks ago, I called, and I had to keep belaboring a point that I was concerned for a girl who was very intoxicated.”Rizzuto also said he experienced an issue several weeks ago when he called to be picked up with a few of his friends. He was told there was no danger or reason for O’SNAP to pick them up if it was a group of six or more.“I don’t think they have any right to do that,” Rizzuto said. “If O’SNAP is a shuttle service, then we really need to hone in that message to the student body and figure out why it’s harder to be picked up if you’re a guy than a girl.”Student body vice president and senior Matthew Devine brought up the issue of newspaper subscription and distribution on campus.According to Devine, the University currently spends about $50,000 on newspaper subscriptions annually, but only about 100-150 papers are actually picked up per day.“I think we need to reassess,” Devine said. “… We’re looking to see if we can do individual subscriptions, but that doesn’t necessarily stay true to the purpose of making it available to everyone.”Alumni Hall senator and sophomore Scott Moore proposed potentially decreasing the order, if possible.“If we can’t get a smaller quantity, I’d rather see it disbanded,” Moore said.The Senate will continue the conversation on the topic throughout the remainder of the semester, ultimately deciding whether to keep all of the subscriptions for the 2015-2016 school year.“It’s going to be contentious, whatever the decision is, so we’re trying to make sure we get the most comprehensive thoughts from everyone,” Devine said.The Senate also unanimously passed a resolution moving Off Campus Council elections to the third week of April, as opposed to April 1.“The purpose behind this is essentially is that there can’t be a comprehensive list of all the students living off campus in about mid-February, when we’re asked for one, which makes it hard to have elections,” Judicial Council president and off-campus senior Kathryn Peruski said.Tags: ND student senate, Notre Dame Senate, Senate, student senatelast_img read more

first_imgNZ Herald 6 August 2017The number of Kiwis getting medical intervention for eating disorders has increased by more than 40 per cent in the last five years.But sufferers’ families say there are still not enough hospital beds to keep up with demand.In 2011, Ministry of Health-funded specialist services treated 894 people who were critically unwell through illnesses such as anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa and binge eating disorders.Last year, 1290 New Zealanders with severe eating disorders were treated through these services.Four years ago the ministry said the number of beds in hospital mental health wards and residential facilities for people with severe eating disorders had increased from 12 to 27 since 2009.Today however the ministry says it doesn’t know how many beds are allocated specifically to people battling eating disorders as its data does not identify mental health beds by diagnosis.READ MORE: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?objectid=11898032&ref=twitterlast_img read more

first_img The Magpies climbed into the top five in the Barclays Premier League on Saturday evening as a result of a 1-0 victory over QPR, their fifth in succession in the league and sixth in all competitions. That represents a remarkable turn-around for a manager who just a matter of weeks ago was facing concerted calls for his head from disgruntled fans. The 53-year-old is keeping his feet firmly on the ground as he prepares for a December fixture list which includes clashes with Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United as well as a derby showdown with Sunderland, although he is not unduly concerned by the task ahead. Asked how important it was to have beaten QPR ahead of that tough schedule, Pardew said: “You could have argued that three games ago, four games ago. “We had Manchester City and Liverpool and Spurs and we sailed through that, so don’t look at the fixtures and think that there’s anything that we can’t deal with. “It is a tough December, there’s no doubt about that, but the team is in such a good place today, we were so disciplined today. “I think anybody who recognises Premier League football and watches it on a regular basis would see that as a really powerful performance from a young team, so that was really good for us.” What was not so good for Pardew and his players was the sight of Ryan Taylor leaving the pitch in tears just 34 minutes into his first league start for 993 days, after fighting his way back from two cruciate ligament injuries. The midfielder, who had arguably been the most influential player in the game until that point, could have been forgiven for fearing the worst when he slumped to the ground in some distress after anxiously flexing his knee, although he was able to walk to the dressing room. By chance, the surgeon who operated on him, Richard Steadman, was among the crowd at St James’ Park and accompanied him to hospital, and Taylor later allayed concerns over any significant damage via his Twitter account. Newcastle boss Alan Pardew insists his team should fear no-one as they attempt to extend their remarkable run of form. He tweeted: “Thank you all for your positive messages. I appreciate them all, just to let you know I have no major problem, and I had to come off today just to be on the safe side. “I was just gutted to come off, that’s why I got so emotional as I’ve worked so hard to get back. Thanks again.” The news will have allowed Pardew to enjoy his weekend after all with the manager having admitted Taylor’s predicament had taken the edge of a hard-earned victory. Newcastle enjoyed the better of the game, but were unable to make the pressure tell until 12 minutes from time when they finally broke the visitors’ stubborn resistance, skipper-for-the-day Moussa Sissoko spinning on Sammy Ameobi’s pass before shooting firmly past keeper Rob Green. Substitute Papiss Cisse might have cemented the win in injury time after running on to Sissoko’s beautiful reverse pass, but although his scuffed shot beat Green, former Magpie Joey Barton was able to clear before the ball crossed the line. QPR left Tyneside bemoaning their luck after believing they were finally about to open their account away from home this season, but ultimately leaving with a sixth successive defeat which saw them slip to the foot of the table. Defender Nedum Onuoha told the club’s official website, www.qpr.co.uk: “Most of us thought we were in the game – we felt it was one of those games that was probably going to end in a draw, and then to concede when we did was a shame and we just couldn’t come back from it. “I believe we deserved a point because this is a team that had won five on the bounce and to be honest, overall we probably didn’t have than many moments where we were under a great deal of pressure, so a point would have been something we were after. But it just didn’t happen.” Press Associationlast_img read more

first_img Bettingexpert crowns TheTrollmanSha World Tipster Champion  July 2, 2020 Better Collective cautious on quick recovery as COVID drags growth momentum August 25, 2020 As the hugely successful and deeply engaging SBC Digital Summit drew to a close, Jesper Sogaard, CEO & Co-founder of Better Collective, sat down with SBC Managing Director Andrew McCarron to discuss what the future landscape looks like for affiliates. He emphasised that when it comes to gaining the trust of the public, establishing and abiding by a regulatory climate is increasingly important. He stated: “We all know responsible gambling is really high on the agenda right now in all societies. There has been a trend, especially in Europe, that within the igaming world we’ve been aggressive in how we have been marketing our products, there’s fierce competition so it’s natural. “But, societies are fed up with the amount of advertising, which will pose a threat to our overall industry and that brings me back to responsible gambling, because ultimately it is what we as an industry need to make sure we have under control.” Sogaard also revealed how Better Collective has sought to navigate through the COVID-19 crisis, revealing that it has taken a universal approach as a company. He said: “We were fairly quick to make the decision that we wanted everyone to work from home, obviously listening to the guidelines in each country, which have been very different. We have a setup across our network where it was fairly easy to execute.“I’m quite impressed by how well it has gone, people are coping extremely well, as most people have experienced you can accomplish a lot by virtual conferencing.” Operationally, he went on to detail that the lack of sports is what has had the biggest impact on their business, detailing that they have placed a heightened focus on esports and have benefited from timely acquisitions of businesses in the sector. Sogaard affirmed his belief that punters that have moved over to esports in the absence of live sport will remain engaged in the sport even after the resumption of mainstream sports. Share Submit Better Collective Spotlight: How Betarades.gr is driving engagement through YouTube July 30, 2020 StumbleUpon Related Articles Sharelast_img read more