first_imgSoutheastern’s Mattie Ort got the Lions back in the game with an RBI double to right center to score pinch runner Anna Rodenburg in the top of the fourth. Ort advanced to third on an error and came home on the next batter as right fielder Ali McCoy put a sacrifice fly to left field. In the ensuing bottom frame, Holland led off for the Colonels with a double to right center on a 2-2 count, and two batters later, Miller singled to the pitcher to get Holland to cross the plate and go up 4-2. LAKE CHARLES, La. – Top-seeded Nicholls beat No. 4 Southeastern Louisiana 7-4 to begin day two of the 2018 Southland Conference Softball Tournament at Joe Miller Field in Lake Charles, La. Nicholls got on the board early in the bottom of the second. Designated player Kali Clement reached on an error and advanced to second, and Samantha Dares took advantage by singling to left centerfield to bring Clement home. After second baseman Emma Holland worked Lions’ right-handed pitcher Rachel Hayes to pick up the walk, right fielder Corynn Major placed a bunt down to load the bases. Centerfielder Kelsey Miller shot a sacrifice fly to left field to make it 2-0. Nicholls’ catcher Moriah Strother pushed the lead to 3-0 in the bottom of the third, sending one over the scoreboard and out on a full count. The homer was Strother’s team-leading eighth of the season.SB: Yep. That ball isn’t coming back! Moriah Strother sends it well beyond the scoreboard to put @Nicholls_SB up 3-0. #SouthlandStrongWatch LIVE at and Southland Conference apps. #GeauxColonels #LionUp— Southland Conference (@SouthlandSports) May 9, 2018 The Lions’ Mahalia Gibson cut the lead to one off a double to left field that scored Jaquelyn Ramon in the top of the fifth, but the comeback was short-lived as Nicholls scored another pair in their outing to go up by three. Holland’s single to left center brought Clement and pinch runner Mallery Marino home. The Colonels tacked on an extra run from pinch runner Brooklyn Devine in the bottom of the sixth off Strother’s RBI double to left field. SLU notched three hits in the final inning, but the Lions only plated Edmonston when Gibson singled up the middle. The regular-season champion earned seven RBIs on 11 hits. Centerfielder Kelsey Miller, catcher Moriah Strother and first baseman Emma Holland each tallied two RBIs. Starting pitcher Megan Landry produced six innings of work, allowing six hits and three earned runs. The win is her 22nd of the season. Tournament Central | Box Score The Colonels will come back tomorrow in the semifinals to play the winner between No. 2 Stephen F. Austin and No. 3 McNeese at 11 a.m. CT. The Lions hit the diamond again this afternoon in an elimination game against Northwestern State at 4 p.m.SB: The top-seed takes game five of the tournament over No. 4 Southeastern Louisiana. @Nicholls_SB will be back on the diamond tomorrow at 11 a.m. CT. #SouthlandStrong— Southland Conference (@SouthlandSports) May 9, 2018last_img read more

first_img1 Cristhian Stuani celebrates his goal against Brighton in their 1-1 draw Middlesbrough are back in the Premier League following their 1-1 draw with 10-man Brighton at the Riverside.There will be no perilous play-offs for the hosts this year thanks to Cristhian Stuani, who opened the scoring.Brighton needed to win to seal automatic promotion, but a poor first half display meant it was a big ask to turn things around in the second 45 minutes even after Dale Stephens briefly gave them hope.However, his red card made it difficult in a game Boro should really have had wrapped up by half-time.Supporters were bemused prior to the game when manager Aitor Karanka left Jordan Rhodes, with 16 goals in the Championship this season, on the bench, but it was justified in the end even if Boro could have scored three or four.The Riverside was rocking before kick-off and referee Mike Dean had to be alert as the tackles were flying from the start and it took the hosts just 20 minutes to score.Gaston Ramirez’s looping cross to the back post was knocked down by David Nugent, taking out goalkeeper David Stockdale to leave Stuani with an open goal from three yards.Cue scenes of exuberant celebrations.Stuani almost double the lead five minutes later, but Connor Goldson’s superb goal line block kept his side in it, but Brighton did not appear capable of scoring and it was left to Boro to keep attacking, with Ramirez going close when his chip looped over Stockdale and onto the roof of the net.Brighton were poor, but the saving grace for manager Chris Hughton when Dean blew the whistle for half-time was that it was only 1-0.And there was hope for the visitors in a crazy five-minute spell shortly after the restart when Stephens equalised, but was also sent off.The no.6 was there at the back post to head in Anthony Knockaert’s free-kick before a reckless tackle on Ramirez left the Boro player with a nasty looking cut on his leg and in need of lengthy treatment.In between the chaos, Nugent had a glorious chance to restore the hosts’ lead, but was thwarted in the box by Gordon Greer.As the game headed towards the end, Brighton fans willed their team forward and the home support held their collective breath when it was revealed there would be eight minutes of stoppage time.However, Boro came through it and will join champions Burnley in the Premier League next season, and as Brighton’s players trudged off at full-time with the play-offs to look forward to, jubilant Boro fans engulfed players on the pitch to celebrate.last_img read more