first_img The polling station seemed ready for action, long before the 7 o’clock start time. But before the pair appeared at the centre, Beverley Manley, a former wife of former President of the PNP Michael Manley, was seen at the centre, to vote precisely at 7 a.m. The teams of outdoor agents from both the JLP and PNP were all in place just after 6:45 a.m. when The Gleaner arrived. Both sides announced their satisfaction with the arrangements. A long line of early voters were already queued station at 7 a.m. when the station was scheduled to be opened under the Representation of the People Act. Leader of the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) Andrew Holness and his wife Juliet, have cast their ballots in the St Andrew Eastern constituency in which the party’s standard bearer, Fayval Williams is up against the People’s National Party (PNP), Andre Hylton. Williams was reportedly hand picked by Holness to be the JLP’s standard bearer in the tricky St Andrew Eastern constituency. Williams is a newcomer to the political process, while Hylton is a first term Member of Parliament. The couple entered the Mona High School at approximately 8 a.m. and was directed to PD 35, where he pressed flesh with voters before casting his ballot. Holness’ wife Juliet looked like a veteran in the political business as she first greeted the orange clad members of the PNP outdoor team before high fisting JLP outdoor agent’s with huge grins. He told The Gleaner that he was satisfied with the proceedings so far, although he has received a few complaints of intimidation. Holness also expressed confidence in the ability of his wife to win the neighbouring St Andrew East Rural seat, saying “Juliet knows what she is about.’last_img read more

first_imgThe Liberia Labor Congress (LLC) in a strongly-worded statement says the current legislation enacted by the Senate to alienate officials of the Central Bank of Liberia (CBL) including the governor, J. Mills Jones, deprives ordinary Liberians of the ability to exercise their political rights guaranteed under the Constitution.The LLC viewed the current situation at the Senate as “troubling and not healthy for our emerging democracy.”  A statement issued yesterday under the signature of LLC secretary general, J. Nyemah Natt, Sr., also said, its attention has been drawn to the ongoing saga between the National Legislature, the CBL Governor and other bank executives forcing them to resign three years before contesting any elected government post.“While the National Legislature may have a different understanding of the CBL Loan Program, we believe it is intended to stimulate growth in the economy by giving loans to ordinary Liberians who do not have the capacity to obtain them from financial and banking institutions that have high interest rates and collateral.Since the launch of the CBL loan scheme, the program has been providing self- employment to many Liberians; especially those in the informal sector of the labor market, thereby raising the living standard of poverty-stricken Liberians.Meanwhile, the LLC has called on the three branches of government to find a common ground to the current state of affairs in the country, and prioritizing the wellbeing of ‘underpaid workers.’Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

first_imgFlooding at Illistrin this week. Pic James Doherty for donegaldaily.comDonegal County Council has reassured the public that it is doing its best to repair a backlog of damage caused by Tuesday night’s flash-flooding.The council revealed it received 40 emergency calls from the public as the floods ripped up roads, flooded buildings and blocked drains from Letterkenny to Ballyshannon.A council spokesman said it is now prioritising the calls after hundreds of thousands worth of euro in damage. “On the night of 5th August, the County and in particular areas of Letterkenny / Rathmelton / Carrigart / Fanad/ Burt/Bridgend/Ballyshannon experienced heavy rain and localised flooding.“Approximately 30 locations have to date been notified and inspected by the Council where there are culverts blocked by washing out of clay / silt and gravel. These locations will need to be cleaned out.“In addition there are a number of locations where more significant damage has occurred with roads or bridges washed away.“The Council is currently establishing the repair costs for these and how they can be dealt with,” said a statement. The Council said it appreciated the cooperation of the general public at this time and appreciates the notifications it received. COUNCIL REASSURES PUBLIC IT WILL REPAIR DEVASTATING DAMAGE CAUSED BY FLOODS was last modified: August 7th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:CarrigartdamagedonegalDonegal County Council. LetterkennyfloodRameltonlast_img read more