first_imgIn the meantime, party elders such as former President George W. Bush have publicly congratulated Biden on his successful bid.“Though we have political differences, I know Joe Biden to be a good man, who has won his opportunity to lead and unify our country,” Bush said in a statement.But even more ominous for Trump is the fact that a growing list of organizations who fought hard for his reelection are starting to reject his ill-fated effort.- Advertisement – On a call with reporters Monday, U.S. Chamber of Commerce representatives said the time for campaigning had come to an end. Over the weekend, the chamber had joined other GOP boosters like the National Association of Manufacturers and the Business Roundtable in congratulating the incoming Biden administration. Sens. Mitt Romney of Utah and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska were among the only GOP lawmakers to actually acknowledge President-elect Joe Biden’s win by Sunday evening. What was more typical was Republicans who stoked doubt in the results and endorsed Trump’s disinformation push to invalidate Biden’s victory.“Every legal challenge should be heard,” GOP House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy of California told Fox News. “Then and only then will America decide who won the race.”Trump has continued to frame the referendum on his dismal leadership as “a stolen election,” even as he spent all day Saturday and Sunday at the links. Several top aides have reportedly tried to impart to Trump that his chances of prevailing through his legal challenges are zero-to-none at this point. But Trump has a thick and impenetrable skin when it comes to reality, particularly when it involves him officially being declared a “loser.” – Advertisement – – Advertisement – “It’s time for the president’s lawyers to present the facts, and it’s time for those facts to speak for themselves,” Sen. Blunt, who chairs the Senate Rules Committee, said on ABC’s This Week. “It seems unlikely that any changes could be big enough to make a difference, but this is a close election, and we need to acknowledge that.”Blunt added that he looked forward “to the president dealing with this however he needs to deal with it.”- Advertisement –last_img read more

first_imgNZ Herald 6 August 2017The number of Kiwis getting medical intervention for eating disorders has increased by more than 40 per cent in the last five years.But sufferers’ families say there are still not enough hospital beds to keep up with demand.In 2011, Ministry of Health-funded specialist services treated 894 people who were critically unwell through illnesses such as anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa and binge eating disorders.Last year, 1290 New Zealanders with severe eating disorders were treated through these services.Four years ago the ministry said the number of beds in hospital mental health wards and residential facilities for people with severe eating disorders had increased from 12 to 27 since 2009.Today however the ministry says it doesn’t know how many beds are allocated specifically to people battling eating disorders as its data does not identify mental health beds by diagnosis.READ MORE: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?objectid=11898032&ref=twitterlast_img read more