Vice President Joseph Nyumah Boakai has officially launched the Women’s Radio Project to advance the issues facing women and girls in the country.Speaking at the program in Monrovia on Thursday, VP Boakai said the project is intended to enable women to speak out on issues that affect them, including SGBV and rape.VP Boakai said it is his desire to support women because, “women have lots of responsibilities that can help move the country forward through their programs.”He urged the organizers to decentralize radio programs to all 15 counties to enable women across Liberia to participate. He stressed on the issue of sustainability and hoped that the Women’s Radio Project will be sustained for a long time.The Country Representative of the African Development Bank, Dr. Margeret Kilo, said the ‘Women Let’s Talk’ program will be broadcast on ELBC on Wednesdays, and repeated on Saturdays. She said the show will be relayed by 15 stations around the country because the program seeks to facilitate understanding, dialogue and knowledge sharing through women-friendly radio programs for women and girls across Liberia. She explained that the program came about when a group of international women serving in Liberia discussed the generational difference among Liberian women as professors, judges, lawyers, doctors and women in the legislature and government who are well educated and highly accomplished.“Through the radio program, these phenomenal women will be able to share their stories with women who trade in foodstuffs in Red Light or secondhand clothes in Duala, along with the judge, mechanic, among other stories, will be told to other aspiring women who can know what to do to become like their role models,” Dr. Kilo said. The program, she said “will also help women farmers in Nimba or Grand Kru to get information about where to get help to improve crop yields, where and when to sell in order to get the best of her produce and where to put their money in savings and how to revisit it.”“The radio has power. That is why stakeholders came together and worked to put this women’s radio program together. I call on sectors of government and partners to support this initiative,” Dr. Kilo said.Several women’s groups attended the program showing support to the radio project as they observed the global 16 Days of Activism against Sexual Gender Based Violence (SGBV).Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Reconstruction of Moruca BridgeFollowing the controversial building of a wooden bridge at Moruca, Region One (Barima-Waini) back in 2014, Cabinet has approved a $119 million contract to upgrade the facility to a double-lane concrete bridge.At the post-Cabinet press briefing last week, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said the multimillion-dollar contract was awarded to Mohamed Ramzanalli Khan Construction. This project is expected to last for a period of 18 months.According to the Government’s spokesperson, this project is actually to correct a “mess” that was done four years ago when the original bridge, first constructed in the 1980s to facilitate pedestrians, was upgraded for vehicular traffic.“It was rehabilitated in 2014 and many of us are aware of the work that was done at that bridge, which, after the expenditure of large sums of money, was still not possible for it to be properly used. So basically what is happening now, we are going to clear up a mess that was created by the previous Administration,” the spokesperson added.After the $43 million contract was awarded in 2012, works on the bridge at Moruca were finally completed in March 2014. The project was expected to be completed within a few months, however, it became the subject of controversy when, in addition to the lengthy delays, residents had accused the contactor of carrying out substandard work.The contractor, Hardat Singh, had stated that the delays were due largely to the inclement weather and the fact that aspects of the bridge’s design had to be changed. He had explained that he indicated his disapproval of the original design to regional officials but was still told to go ahead with the project as is.Then Opposition Members of Parliament, Joseph Harmon of the A Partnership for National Unity and Alliance For Change’s Valerie Garrido-Lowe had both separately visited the site in 2014 prior to the completion of the structure and found that the works were shabby. A photo was then released with the approach to the bridge submerged, resulting in the residents having to use a makeshift walkway to access the bridge.While Singh maintained that the bridge was built in accordance with contractual specifications, he noted at the time the photo was taken, the project was incomplete. A sub-contractor was retained by Singh to complete the remaining “small works”, including the approach to the bridge. But the contract had warned that while approach was built up with sand, this issue may still persist since heavy rainfall was frequent in the Moruca sub-region.
…hunting Guyhoc Park womanThe Customs Anti-Narcotics Unit (CANU) is on the hunt for a mother of one who attempted to ship four hammocks laced with cocaine to the United States of America.Based on information received, the woman, Tiffini Collison, 26, of Lot F 21 Samaan Street, Guyhoc Park Georgetown, reportedly used an international courier service to ship the hammocks sometime last week.However, on Thursday last, the package was intercepted by ranks of the drug enforcement unit at the Eugene F Correia International Airport during routine checks of cargo outgoing to the US.The cocaine-laced hammocksCANU, in a statement, noted that several ranks have visited the home of the suspected cocaine shipper on several occasions, but was never able to locate her. In addition, she allegedly cannot be reached by close family members or friends.The drug enforcement unit is asking anyone with information that can lead to the arrest of the suspect to contact them on telephone number 226-0431.The suspect, Tiffini CollisonThere have, in the past, been attempts to smuggle cocaine out of Guyana by the most creative and innovative ways.Some attempted to do so in fish, achar, fish feed, milk powder, and in pastries among other means; and those attempts have resulted in several persons being charged, and either remanded to prison or sentenced and fined.Following the interceptions, the drug enforcement unit has boosted its surveillance at Guyana’s main ports of entry, including the Cheddi Jagan International Airport, the Eugene F Correia International Airport, and the wharves.With new measures in place, would-be cocaine traffickers are finding more creative ways to ship the narcotic out of Guyana — a country categorised as a major trans-shipment point.
One week after a 23-year-old prisoner was remanded for breaking and entering and larceny, he was killed in the Lusignan Holding Bay by another inmate.Dead is Samuel Little of Lot 1 Stewartville, West Coast Demerara.Director of Prisons Gladwin Samuels told the media that Little died at the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC) on Wednesday at about 10:30h after receiving injuries on Tuesday by another inmate.According to the Director, Little was taken to the prison on June 19.Reports are that Little was involved in an argument with another male prisoner on Tuesday at about 14:00h. During the argument, the enraged prisoner struck him with a piece of wood. Initially, he was treated at the prison infirmary but was rushed to GPHC due to the severity of his injuries.Police have since confirmed that they have launched an investigation while the suspect was said to be assisting.In April, an inmate who was on remand for a murder charge at the Lusignan Prison, East Coast Demerara, was killed after being beaten by several prisoners.Dead is 30-year-old Shaheed Ali of Albouystown, Georgetown.Reports are that at about 22:58h, Ali was in Bay One at the Lusignan Prison when several other prisoners began to beat him following a dispute.Only last month, a Mazaruni Prison inmate died after allegedly consuming a poisonous substance which he had believed to be alcohol.This was according to acting Guyana Prison Service (GPS) Director Kevin Pilgrim, who, during an interview with Guyana Times, said the other inmates who consumed the same substance were also taken to the Bartica Regional Hospital for medical attention.He said that upon discovering the condition of Stuart before he succumbed, GPS ranks rushed the other prisoners to that hospital as a proactive measure.The dead prisoner, Gary Stuart, was part of the Reintegration Training Project.Stuart died at about 05:45h on May 11, less than 24 hours after working at a nearby quarry. He was said to be washing and painting boats when he, along with other inmates, found the bottle of what they believed was alcohol.The inmates hid the bottle from the prison officer on duty and Stuart was said to have drunk the substance. However, it was not until 05:15h on Saturday that Stuart cried out for pains in his stomach and, as a result, was escorted to the Bartica Regional Hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.
Enzo Perez in action for Benfica Manchester United sent scouts to watch Benfica duo Enzo Perez and Nicolas Gaitan on Thursday night, according to reports in Portugal.Benfica were taking on Braga at the Estadio da Luz and, despite Perez and Gaitan’s best efforts, went down 2-1 in the cup match.According to Portuguese newspaper Record, in the stands watching over the defeat were scouts from the Red Devils.Louis van Gaal reportedly has money to spend in the January transfer window, despite the club splashing out more than £150m in the summer.And that war chest could be spent on Perez and Gaitan, with both players on United’s radar.Perez has also been drawing interest from La Liga side Valencia, who have money to spend after billionaire Peter Lim completed his takeover in October. 1
0Shares0000DC United striker and former England captain Wayne Rooney, shown last month with his son watching an NBA game in Washington, was arrested for public intoxication last month © GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP/File / Patrick SmithWASHINGTON, United States, Jan 6 – Former England captain Wayne Rooney’s US arrest last month for public intoxication resulted from mixing prescribed medication and alcohol, a spokesman told British media on Sunday.Court records obtained by Washington ABC 7 News and The Athletic showed that the former Manchester United star, who now plays for DC United in Major League Soccer, was arrested by police at Dulles International Airport, located the northern Virginia suburbs of Washington, on December 16. Rooney, who was returning from a promotional trip to Saudi Arabia, was charged with misdemeanor public intoxication and swearing in Loudon County, Virginia, and released on his own recognizance before paying a Sh2,500 ($25) fine and court costs on Friday.“During the flight Wayne took a prescribed amount of sleeping tablets mixed with some alcohol consumption and consequently was disorientated on arrival,” his spokesman said.“He was approached by police who arrested him on a minor misdemeanour charge.“He received a statutory automatic fine and was released shortly afterwards at the airport. The matter is now at an end.“Wayne would like to put on record his appreciation for the manner he was treated by all involved.”DC United said they were aware of the reports of Rooney’s arrest in a statement issued to US media.“We understand the media’s interest in this matter but believe this is a private matter for Wayne that DC United Will handle internally,” the club said.Rooney is serving a two-year UK drink driving ban stemming from a September 2017 arrest in England.The 33-year-old forward came to the US capital last July, signing with DC United and taking the last-place Major League Soccer club into the playoffs in his first half-season with the squad.Rooney was the centerpiece of United’s marketing campaign as the team opened a new stadium, the English star saying upon his arrival he looked forward to the challenge and enjoyed the relative anonymity afforded by suburban life in America.His contract, which according to the MLS Payers Association pays him a salary of some Sh280mn ($2.8 million) plus revenue from bonuses and sponsorship, runs through the 2020 season.United open the 2019 MLS season on March 3 against Atlanta United.0Shares0000(Visited 3 times, 1 visits today)
0Shares0000Gor Mahia head coach Hassan Oktay issues instructions to his players during their Kenyan Premier League match against Sofapaka at the Afraha Stadium in Nakuru on February 18, 2019NAIROBI, Kenya, Apr 3 – Gor Mahia will play their fourth game in seven days when they take on Sony Sugar at the Moi Stadium in Kisumu on Wednesday afternoon and head coach Hassan Oktay says he will have to rotate his squad once again.This is hugely informed by Sunday’s crucial CAF Confederations Cup quarter final first leg tie against Morocco’s RS Berkane at the Kasarani Stadium and with four first team players already out, he will not want to have another absence occasioned by injury. “It is very tough for us because we have no time to rest. We are playing tough games within a short period of time but it is the situation we find ourselves in and we have to adapt,” the tactician stated.He added; “It is difficult sometimes to get consistent results because all the time you have to change the team and maybe some players are not used to playing with each other. But I am happy that even in tough situations we have picked results.”Gor Mahia striker Jacques Tuyisenge attempts to beat Zoo Kericho keeper Martin Elung’at during their Kenyan Premier League clash in Kericho. PHOTO/KPLDespite the back to back games facing them, Gor has managed to open a five-point gap on top of the standings with victories over Zoo Kericho, Kariobangi Sharks and Nzoia Sugar taking them to 41 points on top of the standings.Against Sony, the defending champions will look to extend that gap to eight and history hugely favors them as they have lost only twice in 21 meetings against the Awendo based team.The sugar millers have failed to score against Gor over the last three meetings, K’Ogalo winning 1-0, 1-0 and 2-0. The last time Sony beat Gor was in August 2011 when they won 1-0 in Awendo.Despite that, Oktay hopes his side will not be curtailed by fatigue and they will be in for victory in a tough tie.Harun Shakava, Jack Tuyisenge, Ernest Wendo and Shafik Batambuze all who will be unavailable for Berkane’s visit on Sunday might be fielded after they were rested against Nzoia on Monday.Seventh placed Sony have lost two of their last five games and won the rest and with a target of squeezing into the top five, they will be keen to take advantage of Gor Mahia’s fatigue to pick victory for the first time since 2011. 0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
BEIJING – China has secretly issued an order banning those the government considers a threat from next year’s Olympics – a group that includes terrorists, Falun Gong activists, some media workers and frequent traffic-law violators, an overseas monitoring association said Friday. China’s leaders view the Beijing Olympics as a way to project a positive image of the country, but the games also offer a rare opportunity for protesters to air their grievances against China’s government and the ruling Communist party. The order from the Ministry of Public Security bans those who fall into broad categories such as “antagonistic elements,” “members of illegal organizations,” and “non-government organizations engaging in activities that can pose a real threat to the Olympic Games,” according to the China Aid Association, based in Midland, Texas. Others who are banned included terrorists, criminals under surveillance and followers of the Falun Gong spiritual movement, which China considers a cult, the association said. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre The group, which advocates for religious freedom in China, also said the ban targeted religious extremists, “media employees who can harm the Olympic Games” and “dangerous elements … and other people who have serious grievances against the Party.” It was not clear whether the order reportedly issued in April applied to visitors or participants, although the association said the security ministry called for strict examinations of athletes, Olympic Committee members, media and sponsors. The association cited government sources as the basis of its report. The group’s founder, Bob Fu, did not immediately respond to an e-mail from The Associated Press asking to see the original government document. Preparations for the Beijing Olympics, such as venue construction, have hummed along at a record pace, but the high-profile event has opened China to accusations of human rights violations, not doing enough to fight pollution and willingness to overlook Sudan’s actions in its violence-ridden Darfur region in return for gas and oil. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
A drunk man who told Gardai that he would get Martin McGuinness to “sort them out” has escaped going to jail.Niall McMenamin refused to leave McKelvey’s Bar in Ballybofey on January 22nd last. Letterkenny District Court was told that when Gardai arrived, the 42-year-old became verbally abusive.He called the Gardai “Free-State bastards” and told Garda Enda Dunne that he would knock his teeth into his mouth.He was arrested and taken to Letterkenny Garda station where he told Gardai that he would get Martin McGuinness to “sort them out.”Members of the public began laughing in court and McMenamin smirked.Judge Paul Kelly asked him if he thought the case was funny.McMenamin, of 2 Cuirt Aisling, Ballybofey, who was charged with public order offences, replied ‘no.’Solicitor for the accused, Patsy Gallagher, said his client had a drink problem and had attended an alcohol addictions programme but has not taken a drink since the incident.Judge Kelly said that given what McMenamin has done to address his alcohol problem, he would apply the Probation Act.Drunk man told Gardai he would get Martin McGuinness to sort them out was last modified: July 19th, 2017 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegaldrunkGardaimartin mcguinness